Have you ever tried Rheingold beer?

I’ve been looking at some old baseball photos of the Polo Grounds in New York City and there’s a big ad for Rheingold beer. Thinking this is from the early 60s when the Mets played there.

Anyone try this beer back in the day? Looks like someone has bought the name, I assume the new version is just generic slop for hipsters like PBR is now.

It came back and I did try it but I didn’t like it. Apparently back in the 60s or maybe the 50s my Dad use to like it.

Because I care for you Dopers so much, heed this warning: AVOID OLYMPIA BEER!

My Dad had it some years ago in Washington state and said it was yummy. Crossing the state line must turn it into larks vomit. The liquor store I worked in bought a half palette and I couldn’t wait to down some. Then I couldn’t wait to give away the rest of the case.

Evil! Eeeeevil!

I’ve drunk Olympia. It’s crap, but better than Coors at least.

Low bar I know, but Olympia does suck.

I am forever in your debt.

Why is Coors Lite Diet like making love in a canoe?

They’re both fucking close to water

I know of Rheingold since the sponsored the Mets (Ballentine sponsored the Yankees). There were a lot of small breweries (around here you had Genesee and Utica). The national brands put most of them out of business until craft beers came along.

No idea what they tasted like. I was too young and I hate the taste of beer.

:musical_note: :notes:
My beer is Rheingold the dry beer,
Think of Rheingold whenever you buy beer…

:beers:

I was too young to drink (1960s), but I remember the jingle.

A friend asked me one time “What was that Jewish beer you used to drink?” I said, “Jewish beer?” “Yeah,” he said. “I think it was called Rheingold.” He thought Rheingold sounded Jewish. Oy!

In the 1970s, I used to buy Rheingold occasionally. I liked to try out smaller, regional brews. I recall it being a perfectly drinkable beer at the time. Then it disappeared, as did many semi-local brews. Too much competition from the big guys, I guess. I no longer drink beer that often, but I might buy a six if I see it, just out of curiosity, but it’s been so long since I drank the original brew, I wouldn’t be able to compare it to the revived one.

Actually Rheingold was a Jewish founded brewery. The name not so much.

The jingle was the first thing I thought of when I opened the thread. I think my father used to drink it, or at least buy it for parties, since he was not much of a beer drinker.

I drank it 45 years ago in the middle of Illinois, and thought it was reasonable. Long before good foreign beers or craft beers. If I ever had Coors, it was once only. Was I just thirsty for something different or has Olympia gone downhill since then?

I was all confused reading this thread. I thought you were all talking about Cincinnati’s Rhinegeist Brewery.

I last had it in 1987, so maybe the quality started declining after your experience. AFAIK, it might be back up to code after all this time. The gauntlet’s been thrown… .

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it sold in these parts. However, I remember well the 1960s jingle.

rheingold was popular for a while due a rather infamous “miss Rheingold” pageant/beauty contest that quickly got out of hand and even had a federal investigation about it

After a while, the company decided it had enough and had nat king cole as spokesman and faded from view

They should use Wagner instead.

Les Paul and Mary Ford.