Have you ever worked with someone who rarely or never had/took days off from work? (6-7 day work weeks)

One of my friends enjoys working 6-7 days a week (at the grocery store where I used to work at) and he recently accepted a stock lead position, since he’s been working at the grocery store since 2017/18. He also works once a week at his father’s pizza shop delivering pizzas as well.

Even though I currently work 5 days a week (45-48 hours) I enjoy having my 2 days off, despite people’s reasoning and preference of working overtime, which is none if my business, unless if I’m good friends with them.

Furthermore, I appreciate my friend’s motivation/drive when it comes to his current work schedule, despite certain jobs that may or may not have weekly hour restrictions.

Me. I am paid hourly and I work a regular workweek of 40-50 hours and often do work on the weekends. I have answered emails while on vacation and while I was in the hospital. I know a lot of people who do the same thing. Well maybe not the hospital thing, but I don’t like coming back to work with things all fouled up.

Many people who are in professional positions in jobs that they enjoy do this. On call 24/7.

I worked with a woman at Boeing that rarely took time off from work. She was an overtime hog. She might use a few weeks of vacation a year and never used a day of sick leave. When I retired in October of 2020, she was still there after 57 years and today, is still working at 80 years old. About 5 years ago another women finally retired from Boeing after 75 years. She died 3 weeks after retiring. I never really understood some peoples commitment to working so much for so long. I had a life outside of work and am now enjoying my life as a retired former employee.

Some folks love work - it’s their main interest and their co-workers are their equivalent of friends and family.

Others never want to take a day off or holidays because if they do, a person covering for them might discover that they have been stealing from their employer for decades.

75 years???

Through most of my life, I’ve worked at least 6 days a week, either overtime at one job, or having two. I’ve called off a total of 22 times in the last 29 years and I’ve taken four week long vacations.

Now, for the first time that I can really remember, I’m only working 5 days a week, and I really have no idea what to do with my free time.

This thread reminded me of a small greenhouse business that’s located a couple miles from my house. The owners - a husband-wife team - retired a few months ago. They had been in business for 53 years, and during that time they took only three vacations. They’re great folks, but I just can’t understand that kind of commitment.

That’s different, though, than being an employee of a huge company. If they didn’t really have employees, who would keep the store open when they’re gone? Who would take care of the plants?

I’ve heard of this as the reason that in the accounting profession people are not allowed to skip vacation. Only by constantly being there can they intercept or otherwise ward off what for them would be a disastrous revelation.

But I heard this from a friend, and don’t know if accounting people are really not allowed to skip vacation. Surely somebody here can confirm or deny this distinctive rule…?

Yep, 75 years. I first met her in the late 80’s, she worked in a blueprint office. Later she worked at completed records. For many years I arrived at work at 4:45 in the morning and she would already be there when I got there. She actually passed about 4 years ago.

Diana Rhea, Boeing’s longest-serving employee and an early female manager, dies at 96 | The Seattle Times

I hope she cashed out her pension when she retired. I can’t imagine how much it must have been.

I’ve certainly heard this in relation to banks, and when the bank person I usually dealt with was on vacation, the person filling in would get upset if I would say that I’ll just wait till they get back.

I worked at a little chain convenience store in the UK, the boss didn’t take days off. Sometimes he was only there for open (at about 6am) and close (at 10pm), but he was the only person who opened or closed the store; he insisted the procedure was too complicated to teach anyone else to do. This had apparently been the case for at least 5 years, until, a few weeks after I started, he had a heart attack while at work.

Turns out, the open and close procedure was really easy, he was just appalling with computers.

He did survive, incidentally, but got moved to a little news kiosk the day he came back to work, because his lack of computer skills were not the only problem uncovered by his absence.

That’s really, really common too. I’ve personally seen it happen more than once.

IIRC, stock brokers are required to take a certain amount of time off each year while another person takes over their day to day duties and audits their work, specifically to catch these kinds of issues.

That’s how my family business is. Other than a few holidays, we’re always open. You can stop in any time and you’ll almost always find either myself or my dad here (plus a lot of other family members). I work 6 days a week (on Sundays, this place doesn’t even exist to me), he’s here 7 days a week.

Part of that commitment is since we’re such a small place, we’re well aware that you can go less than a mile in just about any direction and find a big box store that can provide, more or less, the same thing we do. There’s always that concern that if we close for a day, we’ll permanently lose some customers.
Just recently we stayed open during a fairly extensive remodel of our store. In the near future, we’ll likely be staying open while we get our parking lot replaced.

A good friend of mine seriously screwed up her personal life a little over a decade ago. She struggled with substance abuse and wound up putting her children in a compromised position which adversely affected her custody rights. Since she hadn’t screwed up anything at work, the office became her safe haven where she felt productive, competent, and good at something, so she would work weekends and didn’t take any vacation.

I grew up in an area that had some small dairies and knew one family with a dairy. That’s a job where you work 365 days per year. The cows refuse to let you take a day off.

Yep, in banking it’s typical to require certain roles to take off at least 1 week straight to audit for discrepancies in your role. I know of 3 people caught embezzling that way.

As to the original post - we have quite a few people at Amazon that work 59 hours/week (the max allowed), year in, year out. I did that for a couple of years myself, but there are lots of others, all immigrants. One guy does 6 days there and has a part time job.

I used to work seven days a week when I was in a hectic marketing department. Saturday and Sunday afternoons (and early mornings) were the only times I could focus.

I never skipped holidays or days off, though. Also, I quit after three years.

I think the majority of white collar management types do this. Maybe not every single week and probably not 6-8 hours over the weekend, but I think there’s vanishingly few people in the US who truly never open their laptop or phone to keep up on emails/Slack/Teams whatever at night and over the weekend. I know most Sunday nights tend to entail a hour or two of prep for Monday morning meetings and/or planning/scheduling meetings for the week to come (this is why I never schedule Monday morning meetings with my teams, it’s just rude, but sadly this is not uniform).

That’s a different kettle of fish than being a person who works hourly and in on their feet and on the clock for a full 8 hour day 7 days a week. If I were working on someone else’s schedule and had to be face to face with customers/coworkers 7 days a week I think I’d go postal.

I’ve worked with people who normally worked 6-7 days a week ( and my son did it for a long time as well). All the people I knew who did it took vacations, however, as their vacation time was capped and if they didn’t take it they would eventually lose it. Some worked overtime at their full-time job and others worked a part-time job weekends. For the most part, they did it for the extra money - but I never did understand why people it was the highest paid people at my job (over $130K) had a second job on weekends rather than the lowest paid.