Have you had any success with online dating sites?

I answered Drachillix’s Yahoo Personals ad about 7 years ago when it was free to IM—I didn’t have an ad. We dated ~2years and celebrated our 5th wedding anniversay this month.

I met my girlfriend on Match. I am moving in with her next month.

I’ve posted previously about the relationship. The L word was used last night for the first time, by both of us.

Before I met my present giflfriend I had about 5 dates. 4 of those were just bad. I emailed a ton of women and figured my I got about a 20% response rate.

Slee

Mixed success… It’s been lots of fun online, but I had trouble getting the same feeling in real life. Some girls seem to fall in love with me without us actually having been on a date together, which is really bad for a couple of reasons, and will lead to all kinds of messes. If you can just meet in person as fast as you can, please do. Or at least both get webcams…

Straight male, 29. I tried it for a week or so in the summer five years ago. Went on one or two dates. Met my wife. Took me a year to get matchmaker.com to stop spamming me to come back.

Straight guy, been married for three years to someone I met the old-fashioned way: while getting bombed at a New Year’s Eve party.

But back when I was single I went on a few dates through Salon’s personals. I had some fun, nothing major. For some reason, three of the women I met fell for me really hard in a very short time (like two or three dates), which was kind of creepy. They’d start talking about love when we’d only spent maybe eight or ten hours together; it was unsettling.

I did meet one gal I’m still on good terms with, and we get in touch now and then with a couple of “Here’s what’s up with me” e-mails.

My dad, on the other hand, has been married for four years to a woman he met on match.com. They’re both in their (extremely active) 60s.

I met my current girlfriend on OKCupid. I can’t say as I think much of their user interface, but there’s no question the site works. We’ve been together for nearly three months now. I suppose I should thank Aesiron, since he introduced me to the website.

I’ve tried a few (match, e-harmony, OKCupid) with very little luck—nothing has ever gone beyond a first date. I suspect I’d do at least a little better if I lived in a major metropolitan area.
(male, straight, 39)