Have you heard of "metamaterial"?

The conspiracy thread led me to this article when researching the topic of MK Ultra.I wanted to know which CT’s (conspiracy theories) turned out to be true. My research of MK Ultra which by the way turned out to be true, led me to ‘meta material’ hence the hypothetical technology relating to metamaterial. 1st article how metamaterial ended up in the US government possession in an unspecified military branch.

(i) One 1.75” x 1.25” x 0.25” piece of micron-layered Bismuth/Magnesium-Zinc metal; (ii) six pieces of Bismuth/Magnesium-Zinc metal; (iii) one piece of Aluminum that TTSA physicist Hal Puthoff already in his possession that is currently on loan from Seller; and (iv) one round black and silver metal flake that physicist Puthoff already has in his possession currently on loan from Seller (collectively, the “Metal Pieces”).

The late Art Bell, long-time host of the paranormal radio program Coast to Coast AM , had originally acquired these from a purported anonymous source. Bell had said the individual claimed that their grandfather had been in an unspecified branch of the U.S. military and that items were related to the Roswell UFO crash conspiracy theory.

Next this is fascinating reading! I’ll post another link or 2. This is the first I’ve heard of anything like this. I wonder why this was not on major news networks? Only 2 notable sources NYT and Fox that are referenced in articles I’ve read. Wow this excerpt:
In 2017, The New York Times reported that Elizondo and other individuals from AATIP had examined “metal alloys and other materials” at a facility that Robert Bigelow’s company Bigelow Aerospace operated in Las Vegas, Nevada. Bigelow, a millionaire real estate development and owner of the Budget Suites of America hotel chain, has also been a prominent figure in UFO and paranormal circles for decades. You can see the pic of the meta material here:

Bigelow Aerospace had initially won a contract to support the Defense Intelligence Agency’s Advanced Aerospace Weapon System Applications Program (AAWSAP), which eventually evolved into AATIP. Under Bigelow’s direction, AAWSAP produced a number of study reports on topics, some of which bordered on science fiction.

Elizondo, Puthoff, and other members of TTSA have made additional claims in recent years to be continuing to test various purported metamaterials in the organization’s possession, in addition to the Art Bell samples. The organization has been acquiring these objects as part of its internal Acquisition and Data Analysis of Materials program, or ADAM.

How about a stock purchase of metamaterial? Coming soon. Hmm looks like they might have some use for MM (metamaterial).

META will be holding an annual general and special meeting (the “Meeting”) of shareholders and holders of options, warrants and deferred share units (collectively, the “META Securityholders”) which will be conducted via live audio webcast at https://web.lumiagm.com/191086970 on March 12, 2021 commencing at 11:00 a.m. (Toronto time). At the Meeting, the META Securityholders will be asked to, among other things, pass a special resolution relating to the proposed plan of arrangement (the “Arrangement”) involving META and Torchlight.

Cite for above link

Well, that is certainly enough to grant it unquestionable credibility in my book.

Stranger

Meta materials are certainly real things, with real physics behind them. They are sort of a catch-all term for materials that have “non-standard” physical properties. I know we studied a few during some grad-level RF/EM courses, but I don’t remember much about them to be honest.

They have nothing to do with UFOs, as far as I am aware.

You can read a bunch on Wikipedia, with links to real scientific articles and everything: Metamaterial - Wikipedia

Metamaterials are not some eeery, unknown substance. A short definition of metamaterials is that they are artificially constructed combinations of structures and materials to create material functionalities, as opposed to natural materials, alloys, and other compositions of materials to achieve functionalities.

The concept of metamaterials has been around a long time, but really took off at the turn of the 21st century when experimental demonstration of non-natural RF properties in artificial “surfaces” was accomplished.

There are billion dollar plus companies out there based on metamaterial applications (e.g. Kymeta). There is also a rich scientific literature.

In addition to RF and optical applications, there are also mechanical metamaterials that, for instance, get fatter when you stretch them (negative Poisson ratio).

They are also not from UFOs.

I’m unable to post an excerpt of this link the board controls do not allow. Reason media not allowed.

So paraphrasing the excerpt:
According to foreign and
government organizations. These materials can be made available for inspection.
Read article for exact wording. You can follow the ADAM PROJECT in the link.

I see no reference to any peer reviewed literature on these “exotic” samples.

I put exotic in quotes because just about any lab with thin film deposition capabilities could make the layered films described in your OP. Unless there is some sort of exotic nanostructure or crystal structure to these samples, which would be easy to measure in any number of mundane ways in these very same labs.

I can’t find a concise cite at the moment, but this is old news. “Art’s Parts” have been around and discussed in Ufological circles since the 90s. They made the news again last year when Tom DeLonge (musician and erstwhile Ufologist) purchased them through his “To The Stars Academy.”

They’re industrial slag.

That’s it. There’s no mystery, no metamaterials, no exotic origins or unearthly composition. They’re a bog standard byproduct of the Betterton-Kroll process.. There’s no there, there.

How do you know that? I don’t see Tom Delonge’s name mentioned or Art’s parts metioned. If what you’re saying is true wouldn’t an update to the metamaterial being industrial slag be forthcoming?

Because working scientists and engineers in the field of thin film coatings just don’t care enough to go to the trouble of providing a well cited rebuttal.

Now, if the claims for this material were submitted as part of a paper for peer review, there’s be lots of well documented rebuttals in the review process (and even more if by some miracle it snuck through the peer review process).

@peccavi
“From time to time, various sources have collected material samples reported to have come from advanced aerospace vehicles of unknown origin (popularly known as UAP – Unidentified Aerial Phenomena - or UFOs.) Those sources include private citizens, foreign aerospace investigatory committees, aerospace operators and government organizations. As these materials have come to light, they can be made available for inspection.”

Source ADAM PROJECT

So you’re right no peer reviews yet. Isn’t that why the ADAM PROJECT exists? To study “new purported exotic materials”.

Also it wasn’t one person “claiming exotic UAP materials”. Read the article again. Anyway we’ll find out if there is a new exotic material, maybe? Maybe not. Regardless I think it is interesting and so do other people evidently, just too controversial a subject for some people.

I mean, it’s right there, in your initial post:

The “metamaterial” you’re referencing are these pieces, right? The ones that belonged to Art Bell? If so, those are Art’s Parts. I don’t know why your sources don’t mention DeLonge’s involvement. As to why they don’t include an “update” about them being identified as industrial slag, I would presume because if everyone admits they’re just pieces of industrial slag, there’s no cool story about alien metamaterials.

Here are a few blog posts on the subject:

Even Whitley Strieber, who’s not exactly a UFO skeptic, admits the “metamaterial” is largely consistent with industrial slag byproducts of the Betterton-Kroll process:

His only caveat is that the presence of magnesium is anomalous and the amalgam seems unusually stable with no binding agent, which he thinks rules out the Betterton-Kroll slag hypothesis.

I’m not a metallurgist, but if even a hardcore Ufologist says that pieces that look to me like industrial slag “appeared to be some sort of slag, or possibly residue from a Betterton-Kroll process”, well, if looks like a duck, walks lick a duck, and quacks like a duck, but has unusual levels of magnesium…to me, it’s most likely a duck with unusual levels of magnesium.

Kind of reminds me of the glopet egg in Babylon 5 (end of Act I).

I scanned through some of the Wiki article and it reads like someone trying to obfuscate just enough to get by Wiki censors but still keep up an air of mystery to inflame the CTers. They are “engineered to have a property that is not found in naturally occurring materials” by “blocking, absorbing, enhancing, or bending waves, to achieve benefits that go beyond what is possible with conventional materials.” And “metamaterials can affect waves of electromagnetic radiation or sound in a manner not observed in bulk materials.” To me that looks like catnip to CTers.

I’d never heard the term before this thread. I have heard of Art Bell and Whitley Streiber. As was said above, if even Streiber concedes the stuff likely has a mundane, terrestrial origin then there’s no need to look further.

Once, a friend was dropping me off at my apartment. We saw a light in the sky. She immediately thought it might be extraterrestrial in origin. I pointed out that I live a few miles from a small craft airport and under some of the regular flight lanes for Philadelphia International Airport. Not being an aviation buff, I couldn’t identify the craft’s make and model. But I was sure it was an airplane.

When I open up your ADAM Project link, I see a conspicuous orange button in the upper-right labeled Invest Now.

I have a suspicion that the real reason for the ADAM Project isn’t to investigate these materials.

Which part of that are you suggesting aren’t simple statements of fact about real, (human) engineered metamaterials? It’s hard to control what CTers are going to willfully misinterpret.

There are, in fact, pizza restaurants, and basements, and pedophiles. Just not all in the same place.

I just found it amusing that the wiki article appears to be written to troll CTers. I have one in the family and she would eat that right up.

Yeah, I do wonder if some of the language is explicitly chosen to “speak to” CT-susceptible folks. That would sort of go against the spirit of Wikipedia, I suppose. And it has hard to talk about some of the technology without it sounding rather outlandish (negative refraction, invisible materials, waves propagating backwards).

So, is Silly Putty a metamaterial?