HDTV Color Problem

Every black and white DVD I play on my Hitachi 51f59 is actually more of an olive green and white. Even if I turn the color level all the way down. I don’t think it was always like this. Why?

The “color temperature” of your TV is incorrect. “White” light is actually a mixture of all different wavelengths of light, or colors. In the case of your TV, the white is a mixture of three colors, red, green and blue. But if the green level is too high, as it is in your case, monochrome video appears with a greenish tint. In order to correct this, a technician has to (usually) open the TV and adjust two sets of controls - the background, which controls the minimum level of each color - and the drive, which controls the maximum level of each color. Adjusting these controls is NOT something that should be done by someone without test gear.

Look for an ISF certified calibrator. They have the test gear to make your TV took great.

If you’re conformable opening your TV, you can buy or even build your own color probe and download the software to do it correctly.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I simply cannot enjoy a black and white movie with the way my TV is currently set up.

Have you checked to see if your TV has a White Balance setting? It may have a number of pre-sets which you can play with without messing stuff up.

Before you spend money hiring someone, check if you have a Pixar DVD or any of the other DVDs on this page. These discs have a THX Optimizer you can use to adjust the audio and video.

Good idea in general, but none of the consumer controls other than a specific “Color Temperature” one will affect the color temperature. The ones I’ve seen usually have settings for “Normal”, “Warm” or “Cool”, the last two shifting the color tone to reddish or blueish. I’ve never seen a set with a color temperature designed to emphasize green over red and blue.

Generally, sets only have controls for Brightness, Contrast, Color and Tint (or Hue). Only the last one changes one shade of color to another, but it is specifically designed to have no effect on a monochrome (black & white) signal. Fiddle Peghead has a problem outside the scope of the THX Optimizer.

OK. I don’t have an HDTV (yet; maybe next month) so I’m not familiar with the controls on them. I have seen the colors on computer monitors can be off if the VGA cable is loose, so perhaps that’s the problem? I’m just trying to eliminate the stuff Fiddle Peghead can do himself.

Because we always go for the facts, I have a minor nitpick. My understanding is that the THX optimiser on each THX DVD is specially tuned for that feature presentation. So when setting the brightness & contrast, it’s based on the minimum and maximum ranges shown in the picture.

Not that this is likely to make much difference to a DIY calibration :slight_smile:

My vote is for the colour temperature as already mentioned. It’s unlikely that the HDTV is a CRT either, so the drive transistor config is likely irrelevant too.

tim

I’m not sure any of these answers are really addressing the issue. Fiddle Peghead isn’t complaining about the whites being green, he’s complaining about the blacks being green. Fiddle Peghead, can you get your blacks to ever be black, instead of green? Are your whites white or green? (not that I have an actual answer for you either way…)

I searched, and Fiddle Peghead’s TV is a rear projection CRT. If the blacks are greenish, the green background control needs to be backed off a tiny bit. Easy enough, except that control interacts with the green drive control. This set looks like a very decent CRT. An ISF calibration will allow the TV to produce the best picture of which it is capable. Most of the guys who do it don’t charge an arm and a leg, and it has to be done in your home, as moving a RPTV effects the alignment.

Try going to AVS Forum.

They have a special section for rear projection units

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=63

Here are a couple of threads regarding your Hitachi.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=790702&highlight=hitachi+51f59

and

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=700130&highlight=hitachi+51f59

They have TONS of information about your set.

I’m sure that if you post your problem there, you’ll get some good feedback.