He Hate Me FF Keeper League – Year 11

If everyone, if they get a chance, could weigh in on Dave’s keeper problem? Either here or on the league page is fine. I want to make sure I get as much input as possible.

I say no. The info came out after the deadline, making it actionable is not fair.

I’d be sympathetic if he had first said “sorry, I’ve been so busy it slipped my mind”, but he said

So if he’s trying to game the deadline based on having additional information, well, that’s exactly the sort of reasons we have deadlines. I don’t think he deliberately plotted to do that - just sort of put the decision on backburner and got reminded when he saw the report, but either way, that’s essentially asking for competitive advantage when making a keeper decision. I wouldn’t really care if we let it slide though.

Does anyone have experience with using the Yahoo app to draft with?
My wifes father is in the hospital and we will most likely be driving back during the draft. I will have my phone so I can use the draft app, but haven’t tried it before.

I’ve used it for mock drafts and it’s not bad. Might get tricky during the later rounds if you need to pull up a cheat sheet.

You can sign up for a mock draft or two on the app, and see how it goes. I may do the same, just in case something happens.

It’s possible I’ll miss the first half of the draft - my girlfriend’s daughter’s bridal shower is Sunday afternoon, and it’s a couples thing, so I sort of have to go.
Hopefully I’ll be on line before Yahoo’s autodraft logic kicks in after my keepers in rounds 5-7, drafting me a kicker and DEF in rounds 8 and 9.

A couples bridal shower on labor day weekend! My hat goes off to you, sir.

My mumble server will be available for the draft. It’s more interesting to have live voice chat in the discussion. If you have a microphone, you can talk along on your PC. Even if you don’t, you can still listen. But they also make iOS and android clients for it, so you can use those too.

Alright, I have a mumble server for voice chat which makes the draft a little more interesting. Preferably you have a microphone and can talk, but even if not, you can listen in on the discussion. It’s free and easy to set up. You can download it here.

There’s one stupid glitch sometimes when a first person logs into a server - they might be deafened (can’t hear others talk) - this is easily fixed by just tapping the push to talk button you set during the setup wizard. Even if you don’t have a mic, just set a button to that and then tap it once and it’ll work.

Anyway, run the setup wizard, create a new server, and enter this. Remove the slashes from the server name, I’m just putting those in to throw off bots. Go to the server menu and click add new. Name it SDMB or whatever you want - the label is just for reference.

Hostname:
silverbolt.bluefang//solutions.com

Port 32768

User name - whatever your name here is.

Anyway, we can still use text chat during the draft but I find it fun to be able to talk more naturally with other people as the draft goes down. It’ll only take a minute to set up.

I had to remove the 2 slashes from the Hostname for it to connect on my Android.

Yeah, I put those slashes in there just in case an errant bot was looking to compile server addresses for whatever nefarious purposes… remove them.

Suggestion for a rule change next year. Having the consolation bracket decide the top pick of the draft to give them something to play for is fine with me. However, it’s not necessary to put the entire consolation bracket at the top of the draft with all 4 picks to have this effect. If only the #1 pick is up for grabs to the winner, then the consolation bowl still means something. I see no reason why the losers in the race to the consolation bowl should get picks 2 3 and 4, and it runs contradictory to the idea of draft order parity.

So I propose next year we give the consolation bowl winner the #1 pick, but schedule everyone else in reverse order of standings. It’s a less disruptive solution that scratches the itch just as well.

Sounds good to me!

I will be visiting the in-laws tonight and probably switching from computer to phone. I apologize in advance for any spotty timing.

Exactly how is the draft order determined?

Reverse finishing order except that picks 1-4 go to the players that finish in that order in the consolation bracket. I never like the consolation picks anyway; people don’t tank in this league.

Truthfully I would prefer a fully randomized draft order. Th only year-over-year continuity for “strength of team” is keeper value, which we already have controls in place to prevent long-term dynastic pressures. My vote would be to shuffle the draft order deck each year, which also serves to remove any incentive for “tanking” (though I agree that has never been a problem in this league.)

I will propose my own rule change, though - consistent with the concern **senorbeef **raised on page 2 of this thread:

Proposed Rule - No trading of a draft pick slotted to be a keeper.

As much as I was against it earlier this thread, I’d be happy with this. However, what happens if I trade picks, and then later trade for a player that would be kept with a pick I traded for?

Changing the rule to not allow the trading of picks used for keepers is a solution without a real problem. Not only that, but it creates new opportunity for abusing the rules that couldn’t exist as it is now. For example, I can trade picks before declaring keepers. It’s going to get a lot of people pissed off when the accusations of gaming the new system start flying.

Tanking hasn’t been a problem in this league because there exists a system right now which makes tanking fruitless. Changing the existing system invites opportunities to tank which can’t exist in the current system (see the pattern?). Then we’ll have to have a discussion about whether tanking is actually wrong in a keeper league. Then accusations of tanking when someone makes seemingly questionable choices late in a season. All because we’re again proposing solutions to non-existent problems. What’s going on here?