He-Man and the Masters of the Universe questions.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

The flying car was thunderhawk I think.
The jet motorcycle was vampire
The jeep boat was gator
The pickup was umm…nuts I forgot.

There was an episode where some powerful force was going to destroy Castle Grayskull. Skeletor and He-Man joined forces to defeat it (Skeletor wants to conquer Castle Grayskull and take it’s power, not see it destroyed) and at some point the joined the swords. Of course, Skeletor betrays He-Man after the Big Bad is destroyed/driven off.

I wasn’t even a big He-Man fan as a kid, this was one of maybe six episodes I saw.

…the sword thing reminds me of the classic cartoon Blackstar. Blackstar was this guy who went through a wormhole, crashed on a planet, and fought evil. There was a sword, the Powerstar, that was split into the Star Sword and the Power Sword.

Blackstar was a fantastic show, almost as good as Thundarr the Barbarian

Yeah, but does it still have the homoerotic undertones that we all completely missed when we were kids?

I was watching clips one night on a VH1 80s type special, and looking at them now, I’m like, “MAAAANNNN, how did they get away with THAT???”

Well, the story rationale for this has been sufficiently covered, but is everyone forgetting that the drawbridge for the Castle Greyskull toy could be opened by sticking in the combined sword? Of course, since it was just a little spring-loaded switch, you could usually get it to work with one of the half-swords and some wiggling.

Oh, and damn all of you for sending me into a nostalgic reverie at work! I’m suddenly dredging up all of these memories of these old cartoons and toys. I also was abused as a child by only getting Go-Bots instead of the real thing.

Gah!!! And now the Thundercats theme song is stuck in my head! Make it stop!!!

<fingers in ears>Lalalalalala… It’s not working!

Thundercats are on the move, Thundercats are loose…

I think it was his neice now that you mention it.

Isn’t Teela the new Man-at-Arms now?

Teela was the daughter. She-Ra was He-man’s sister. Hordak ruled the Evil Horde, and fought She-Ra in the cartoons (but fought He-man and Skeletor through the toy lines) Skeletor used to be Hordak’s lieutenant but betrayed him.

Coolest He-man toys:
Modulok–made of 40 some odd pieced, could put him together anyway
Two-Bad–two heads
Stinkor–He stunk. Best special effect ever in a toy
Grizzlor–all hairy
Leech–He stuck to stuff
CobraKahn–Spat water!
Trap-jaw-- he just looked cool
Skeletor’s giant walking spider–100 times better than the Wild Wild West rip off

Had Thundarr been allowed to kill anyone, it would have been the greatest cartoon ever!

Am I the only person who gets Duncan Man-at-arms confused with Duncan, Swordmaster of House Atreides?

Yes :slight_smile:

So, then, is Teela the daughter of Man-At-Arms and the Sorceress?

Man-At-Arms knew that Adam was He Man, but I never did hear how he found out. Did the Sorceress tell him?

I never had Man-at-arms when i was a kid. i always went for the monster bad guys instead of some lame guy in green with orange strap ons (yes, i know that sounds dirty). Most of my games ended up with Castle Grayskull in flames, with Skeletor sitting victorious in Snake Mountain. Until the Evil Horde came out, then i could do bad guy vs. bad guy, with He-man and his hapless team being caught in the middle. Eventually, Grizzler and some of the others got transferred to being villians when i played Battle Beasts. Makes me wish i were 10 again…

I wonder if Queen Marlena in the new series is still an astronaut from Earth who crash-landed on Eternia…?

Other observations about the new series: King Randor is kick-ass now! And Adam and He-Man no longer so closely resemble each other facially that you have to wonder if the entire cast isn’t a buncha Lois Lanes! Not so sure about the new Skeletor backstory (not that the old Skeletor had a hint of backstory to him)…

Oh yeah-that’s right-she was an astronaut! I forgot about that.

Oh, and Teela was the Sorceress’s daughter, but Duncan was her ADOPTED father. She found out in one episode. Did anyone ever think that Teela was really whiny?

I always liked She-Ra better. Although she looked even MORE like Adora than Adam looked like He-Man.

I had She-Ra, Glimmer, Sunburst She-Ra and the horse, Spirit/Swiftwind but the She-Ra dolls didn’t look much like the actual characters.

Pfft, it’s just Gor without the bondage.

In a product tie-in, Masters of the Universe first appeared in DC comics in an issue of DC Comics Presents, featuring Superman getting sucked through a wormhole to Eternia etc etc. In that story Skeletor had both half-swords and was waiting for some crucial astronomical alignment before he could stick them together. Supes ‘n’ He-Man won the day, of course.

Jesus! Are any of you people reading this or just ignoring everything but the name “Teela” ? It’s been answered like 6 times now…

Teela is the daughter of the Sorceress, adopted by Man-at-Arms and raised as his child. :smiley:

I think everything else has been covered. She-Ra was He-Man’s sister, separated at birth and raised on another planet, frist showing up in the movie “the secret of the sword” (or some crap like that) She was basically a Star Wars idea rip off because sales were slagging and they needed more money.

Remember everyone: Cartoons are commercials for toys. 'Nuff said.

The site yesterdayland.com has stuff on He-man and Mask. there is a reference link to it on this site.