Headset won't work after software update

I am running Windows 7 64. I downloaded and installed the lgs 846_x64 update for the G35 headset. There was no apparent problem during installation. During the test phase of the installation, everything worked perfectly, including the surround sound test.
However, no sound will come out of the headset except the testing sound.

I have restarted my computer a few times.
I have reinstalled the update a few times.
I have uninstalled the update.
I have installed the automatic update.
I have plugged and unplugged the G35 headset in a few different USB ports.
I have run antivirus software.

It will not play sound except for the initial testing phase of the software update installation.

What to do? It’s a 150$ headset that just got fucked by a software update. On the plus side, there’s a new pretty logo and the surround sound test is really impressive, yay!

The Logitech forum has not been helpful.

If the testing sound plays, then that means that the headset is working, so it’s not a hardware or driver issue.

Doublecheck to make sure that your headset is set as the default playback device. I had a similar problem a while back, and found that the sound was being sent to a non-existent device. It’s possible that after the upgrade, Windows now thinks you have a ‘new’ headset, but is still trying to send output to your ‘old’ headset.

Look in Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Manage Audio Devices for the relevant configuration settings.

Thanks Plank. You were right.
I didn’t really suspect Windows would do that.

Windows: “You have changed, headset, you’re just not the same piece of hardware anymore. It’s like I don’t even know you.”

Next time just buy good headphones and a $10 mic. Costs less for the same/better performance, and you don’t need to deal with USB crap. Headsets are a joke.

I wager this is Logitech’s fault; they probably screwed up the driver update so the new driver doesn’t look (to Windows) as if it’s for the same hardware as the old. So Windows says, “wow you have a shiny brand-new headset, but the default is still that old USB headset that I’m sure you’ll plug back in any second now.”

In any case, easily fixed. And ignore the snark-- USB headsets rock. The only problem they have is idiot software developers who fail to test the case where an audio device (which, BTW, have always been “plug-n-play” in Windows) suddenly disappears and their crappy apps crash as a result. But that’s not the headset’s fault.

Windows has been brain-dead about audio devices since Vista.

I have a TV connected to my only Vista-running PC via HDMI. If the TV is not (1) on and (2) switched to the HDMI input that connects it to the TV, the PC will pretend it has no audio device connected to it at all even after it is both (1) and (2), requiring me to either disconnect and reconnect the HDMI or reboot the PC. Utterly stoopid.

My patrons at the library can purchase earbuds to hear stuff on our internet PCs, which have Windows 7. I’ve so often had to go in to troubleshoot “broken” earbuds that I’ve taken to telling them now when they buy them, “When you plug these in, you’re probably going to have to hit refresh on the video you’re watching before they’ll work.”

But that’s not Windows; that’s the browser (or plug-in) developer who didn’t realize apparently that on Windows, audio devices are plug-n-play and didn’t bother coding in support for it.

There’s plenty to complain about when it comes to Windows sound (my biggest beef is you can’t have it output to 2 “default sound devices” simultaneously-- the hardware can do it, the OS just won’t let it), but you can’t blame Microsoft when someone else screws up.

Don’t confuse the issue with facts. :wink: