Health risks: Are laptops misnamed?

Are there any health risks associated with parking a laptop on one’s lap for extended periods of time? Am I flooding my family jewels with low-level radiation? Is there any research on this?

There is a risk of burns.

There should be no risk from radiation. Emission level is far lower than a cell phone, and frequency is similar. As far as I know, there’s still no definitive evidence that cell phones cause harm. Just wach out for burns, as SC_Wolf said.

Just to reiterate the basics: radiation can be categorized into two kinds, ionizing and non-ionizing. Ionizing radiation includes X-rays, gamma rays and alpha particles. These behave more like particles than waves, and each particle has enough energy to knock off an atom or electron from a molecule. This means it can directly damage large molecules such as your DNA, resulting in cancer. On the other hand, non-ionizing radiation like radio waves have insufficient energy to alter molecules. When it hits your body the energy is absorbed over a wide area and the only effect is to heat you up. That’s how microwave ovens work.

Of course there is a possibility that non-ionizing radiation can cause other harm. Radio waves can induce electrical current, which might disrupt certain chemical reactions inside your body. But as far as I know, there is no definitive proof of such effects.

Yes you are. For just $99.95 I will sell you a piece of alumium foil… wait I mean a metallic sheild that you place on the underside of the laptop that will stop jewel fring radiation produced by a laptop.

Actually I think there has to be something going on - we weren’t made to handle electronics and there are whole branches of alternative medicines that have to do with the ‘electric field’ around the person. I t\don’t know if it’s as bad as the alternitive Dr’s say but don’t think it’s as harmless as the conventional Dr’s.

Thats why they are all called notebooks now.

probably too much connotation with dancers
:slight_smile: