"Helen Highwater"

I’m afraid I don’t get “Teresa Green” or “Melanie Gibson.”

I went to college with a girl named Anita Goodman.

A couple of years ago, Iowa City police broke up a prostitution ring. One of the women who was arrested for prostitution was named Amanda Guzzle. I sure hope that was a pseudonym. :eek:

The diminutive of “Melanie” is “Mel.” Ergo, her friends probably call her “Mel Gibson.”

I’m guessing that spoken aloud, “Teresa Green” sounds like Jimmy Durante saying “Trees are green.”

The old Carmen Sandiego game series had these sorts of joke names for some of the members of Carmen’s gang. IIRC they had names like: Justin Case, Warren Peace, Sarah Nade, and so forth.

It’s one of the oldest joke names… but when I was in junior high school, there really was a kid named Michael Hunt. He insisted on going by Michael, and no one followed his wishes.

I’d love to hear this one turn up on Doc Martin. :smiley:

I can’t find the article right now but during one of the horrendously bad storms a few winters ago a newspaper reporter took a quote from a Jack Mehoff and no one noticed before it went to print.

When I was in grade school, in Green Bay, the Packers had a linebacker named Mike Hunt (and, yes, he did go by “Mike,” rather than “Michael”). It was an endless source of humor among us 13 year olds.

Comic/actress Kate Micucci has a side gig called “Playing with Micucci.”

Here she is, discussing it with Conan:

Not the same thing, but similarly funny: the name of the physician on 30 Rock was pronounced “Dr. Spah-chemmin” but spelled “Dr. Spaceman.” For some reason that joke never gets old for me.

With a British accent Anita sounds like “a neater” rather than “I need a” so I initially missed the joke. Anita Bush on the other hand works in both dialects :slight_smile:

Double post.

Just be sure you show proper respect to William M. Buttlicker: 'OUR PRICES HAVE NEVER BEEN LOWER!' - The Office US - YouTube

Mork and Mindy once had guest characters called Mr and Mrs Wanker. I know that’s a real surname and the swearword wasn’t widely known in the US at the time, but the way Mindy repeatedly enunciated Mr Wanker with great emphasis makes me think the writers knew full well what they were doing.

Was her first name Alotta?

The first one sounds like “trees are green”

The second … Mel Gibson? I can’t work it into a pun.

In a previous life I had to frequently speak by phone to someone in our German branch named Michael Hunt. Although his English was impeccable I don’t know if he knew how his name has been used in English.

There’s always Dr. Beardface from Scrubs.

“It’s pronounced beard-fuh-say. It’s French!”

I have suggested before in discussing James Bond movies that they should have a vilain’s henchman named Isaac Hunt.

Not quite. I won’t write it here, but it was a Russian name that did indeed sound somewhat suggestive (to an English speaker) when paired with her surname. :o