Help, I can't take the price of baby formula much longer!

Does anyone know where to get the cheapest Similac Advance online?( or mail order)
Also, somebody help me get into this coupon thing. You parents out there know what I’m talkin’ about. What is the best site for downloading coupons for baby stuff.
Not a word from all you breast feeding drones out there, shes adopted!:smiley:
Last but not least, any advice for saving money will help your karma and mine.
thanks in advance!
John.

Not real cool to refer to women who choose to breastfeed as “drones” :rolleyes:

I would try BabyCenter (try the “Community” section).

You might also try the misc.kids.consumer newsgroup

…or…you know, try a Google search…

Seriously, formula prices are causing you real financial problems?

You adopted? What the hell were you thinking? How is it that you were allowed to adopt if you can’t afford to feed the baby?

Check with your local social service agency.

I think she’s referring to extreme proponents of breastfeeding, those who insist a mother should. Not just those who choose to breastfeed.

I think she’s referring to extreme proponents of breastfeeding, those who insist a mother should.

I call 'em Milk Nazis.

Seriously, you might want to try the local Women, Infants and Children program in your area. They give vouchers for formula.

Robin, who forgives Weeks for calling her a breastfeeding drone. :slight_smile:

Re the saving money part of the question: My main advice is to never turn down an offer of help (unless its from an axe-murderer) and don’t be afraid to buy secondhand.

When it comes to offers of help, any genuine offers should be accepted wholeheartedly if possible. May be you can get your family to band together and pay for a nappy wash service for a few months for your birthday or christmas present?

We saved ourselves an extraordinary amount of money by buying most of the things we wanted for bub on the secondhand market. It can cost several thousand dollars (Australian dollars that is) to set up a nursery, purchase clothes, buy prams etc. Secondhand baby goods are usually extremely cheap (compared to new items) and they are very usually in very good condition.

Here’s some examples of items we bought:
Bassinette: hand-me-down from wife’s older sister $0, new cost over $100
Cot + mattress: From guy down the road $90, new $350 (he also threw in a baby bath for nothing)
Top of the range pram: From secondhand baby goods store $85, new over $300
BabyBjorn baby sling: $20 from the local classifieds, new $95
Baby bike seat (to go on my pushbike): $75 from second hand baby goods store, $250 new

When bub is old enough to go on solids and ordinary milk it will be a bit cheaper but don’t give to much credence to those who tell you that it’s significantly cheaper to make all the food yourself - it’s probably more better for them but homecooked food is not always cheaper.

There really isn’t many avenues for saving money on the day to day stuff like milk powder, disposable nappies (diapers to you Merkins) etc. We found the only way to save money on those sort of items was to buy in bulk or to buy from somewhere like Not Quite Right (a seconds and damaged goods store). However, we found that buying generic brand disposable nappies was a false economy as they tend to leak and need to be changed a lot more frequently than the name brands.

We joined the local bulk-foods club (lik Sam’s Club), and got Enfamil for 2/ the cost it went or in the groceries. Worth looking into.

Allright , allright, sorry about the drone coment…I’m a huge proponant of breast feeding! Drone was the wrong word. Ceasars Ghost was right .
Look, I can afford the baby, I can afford to feed the baby filet mignon, if I have to .
My wife and I thought long and hard about this and are financially secure. We wouldn’t even qualify for WIC. I’m just firmly convinced that paying $25 US for a pound and a half of fortified POWDERED MILK is crazy. I’d much rather put the savings into a college fund.
It seems to me that Similac has a stranglehold on the online outlets. I keep getting the same three websites when I do a search for the stuff. CVS’s site being one of them, the price being MORE than what I’m paying now.
But, It looks like I’ll have to save elsewhere. We feel that the additional fatty acids found in Similac Advance are important.
Once again, sorry to all you lactaters, It just isn’t an option for us and I’m getting sick of comments from other mothers asking why we pained expression, exasperated rightious tone “bottle feed”.

What forumla are you buying that it costs $25 per can? The only ones that cost that much are the special ones (Nutramigen and Alimentum) for infants that are allergic to the other formulas. If your baby doesn’t have a milk allergy, you don’t need it. It’s not “better,” just different. The good news is babies usually grow out of the allergies by the time they are six monthgs old and can be switched over to a different type at that time.

If your baby does need it, the lowest price I’ve found it for is $20 per can at CVS and also at that price at some supermarkets. It ususally cost more to buy it online once shipping is included in the cost.

Try registering at the forumla makers websites for coupons.

If your baby doesn’t need it try switching over to one of the less expensive types, but you’ll have to switch over slowly. Starts slowly blending the two formulas together until over a week it is completely the new one. Ask your pediatrician for more details.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Parenting, Weeks! :smiley: Ah, the first lessons come fast and hard…

One of the first lessons is, “The kid needs what the kid needs, and the parents provide it.” End of story. If the kid needs shinguards for soccer, the parents provide shinguards for soccer. If the kid needs amoxicillin, the parents provide amoxicillin. And if the kid needs nutritious food, the parents provide nutritious food. For as long as the kid needs it. (And you don’t wanna know about “boomerang kids”… :smiley: )

Okay, end of lecture. :smiley:

Anyway, on the subject of “why is this formula so goldarned expensive?” all I can tell ya is, shop around. And–you don’t have to opt for the most expensive “all possible nutrients on the face of the planet have been added, and some that are possibly only considered nutrients on Planet X”. Like any other food item on the grocery store’s shelves, the more “stuff” that’s been done to it, the more “super mystery ingredients” that have been added, the more you’re going to pay.

It’s just “food”, ya know, it’s not “magic”. Read the labels, look for different brands. It’s my understanding that all baby formula that’s out there (in the U.S. at least) is required to conform to certain minimum nutrition requirements, the same way that dog and cat food is. On the can of Alpo, it’ll say, “Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that Purina Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy with Beef provides complete and balanced nutrition for the growth and maintenance of dogs.”

So you look for something similar on the side of the baby formala cans, and then buy the one that best balances your checkbook with your nail-biting parental anxiety need to give your child the best of all possible baby formulas.

And remember that the bottle feeding phase doesn’t last forever–last time I looked, you were allowed to start introducing solid foods by 6 months, and by a year old the kid ought to be basically off the bottle and on “people food”, albeit put through the blender so as to become unrecognizeable as food. :smiley:

But it’s been a while since I fed a baby (not since 1990) and I’m sure things have changed.

Anyway, buck up, old fella, and welcome to the club! :smiley:

How old is your baby ?

I breastfed my kids, but my daughter expected my to be a cow that was available 24 hours a day, when I covered up after feeding, she would get mad. She just wanted to be able to snack all day long. Anytime and anywhere.

When she was ten months, I had had it. I asked the doctor for suggestions and he said it would be OK to start giving her regular milk.

Welcome to parenting !

My advice is don’t go for that super-expensive stuff. I have two incredably healthy kids who drank Carnation Instant Formula until they both discoverd table food at six months.

Good Luck!

Yo, Kirk!

I dont want the mostest, but I do want these two extra fatty acids DHA & ARA.
Olive Mae is 6 weeks old

Enfamil has a new formula called Lipil ( http://www.enfamil.com/lipil/index.html ), which I’ve seen for about $10.50 per can of powder. It also has the two fatty acids you mentioned. That’s the one I’m going to be switching over to soon.

“Enfamil has a new formula called Lipil (http://www.enfamil.com/lipil/index.html ), which I’ve seen for about $10.50 per can of powder. It also has the two fatty acids you mentioned. That’s the one I’m going to be switching over to soon.”
Now thats news I can use!

Thanks! I’m beginning to see a trend in the presence of the major formula companies and their products on the net.
It seems that their plan is to restrict the number of retail outlets and keep the price stable.(sigh)
I’ll save money elsewhere, I guess. What an education!
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone!