Help, help, help! I can’t access the internet anymore and that messes with my head and troubles me greatly. (It does, really. That troubles me as well, but nevermind. On to the problem in question):
What happened is the following (I hope I can describe what ails my computer, I actually have no idea what exactly I am doing, I tried everything that I found or was explained but nothing worked):
I am using a router to connect my Win XP laptop to my LAN. The router is acting as a DHCP server and is supposed to assign an IP adress to the laptop. So far everything worked properly. Then I left my laptop on overnight (it wasn’t doing anything, it was just on) and in the morning I couldn’t access the internet anymore. The laptop claims it can’t find my router anymore.
Hence, it just assigns a bogus IP adress which of course doesn’t help anything.
I’ve tried the following:
- reboot the laptop (nothing changes)
- reboot the router (which works as my roommate can access the internet)
- unplug the cable (which is also functional, I tried it on my roommate’s computer)
- manually enter the router’s IP adress (can’t find DHCP server, it says)
- ping the router (still can’t find the DHCP server)
- checked for sneaky dial-up connections that mess up my perfect DSL (there are none)
I am at my wit’s end (which wasn’t that far to begin with) and am suspecting it might be a hardware problem. But I’m still hoping it isn’t. Do you know anything I haven’t tried yet? Help, or I’ll have to continue using my roommate’s MAC which drives me nuts (sorry, MAC users, I know, this wouldn’t have happened if I had used one of those wonderful contraptions but I am just not used to the frigging apple key )!