Help ID this Asian (Indian) dish.

Years ago I dated a Malaysian girl who made me this dish.

It was chunks of beef in a spicy sweet broth. I could tell the sweetness came from coconut milk.

After doing some research, I’m pretty sure it was beef rendang. But the thing that’s throwing me off, is the stuff my Lady friend made for me was swimming in a delicious broth. When I go online for recipes, they all suggest the broth should be cooked out. (looked rather dry really)

So, is beef rendang NOT the recipe I’m looking for? Or is it and she just had an unsual way of cooking it?

Also, if rendang is what I’m looking for, how do those rendang spice packs fare? Any good?

Thanks.

Could it be a Malaysian beef curry?

That was my thought as well- a red curry with beef.

Describe the “broth” more - usually broth is clear, but you mention it tasted of coconut.

Anything else in the bowl, or just meat? Any veggies or seasonings stand out? Noodles? (If there was noodles, you’re probably jonesing for a laksa, which is actually my default state.)

My Indonesian MIL makes rendang a lot, and we eat it all the time at a couple different Indonesian restaurants. It is usually served with a good helping of sauce: that is the sauce that it is simmered in. I wouldn’t call it a broth; more of a gravy. There is enough sauce for my wife to pour over rice and eat that as a dish. Yes the recipe requires cooking down the sauce, but not totally, there is still a nice thick coconut-curry gravy left to eat.

I don’t know about any spice packs. I consider rendang one of those too-much-trouble to cook at home things. But then again authentic Indonesian is easy to come by in my town.

Okay, so more of a gravy then. It was like a reddish brown gravy.
I Googled Beef curry per pulykamell’s and Push You Down’s posts. That seems to be more like it. Although, all it had in it was beef and sauce. (No potatoes, like the recipes I found.)
That said, I’m not sure what the big difference is between rendag and beef curry

Could it be a massaman curry. My wife makes an awesome version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massaman_curry

Not much. I would classify rendang as a type of beef curry. The big difference I see is that rendang is just beef and sauce, while curry may have a variety of veggies or legumes. Also maybe cooking time. Rendang is cooked until the beef is fall-apart tender, while the beef in beef curry may be more toothsome. Of course nothing is fast and true with curries, they are made to individual preferences.

I would say so, too. But redang is a drier style of curry usually, isn’t it?

Doing a little more research, some sources seem to say that a wet rendang is a kalio, but I know nothing about this.

Oh, man, that is one of the greatest curries ever. It’s like the best of Thai and Indian curries in one.

The thing about rendang is it’s made in reverse. Unlike most stews and curries, you start by boiling the meat and seasonings in lots and lots of liquid; only when it’s reduced away do you brown the now-tender meat.

Mm, rendang. The seasonings are not that complicated, but fresh lemongrass helps a lot.

I use coconut milk in my chicken curry, so that part makes sense. Haven’t tried it with beef.

Singaporean checking in. Try Googling ‘rendang daging’ to see if any of the images match what your looking for. Most beef or mutton rendangs I’ve had in Singapore and Malaysia tend to be of the drier variety though. Maybe your friend improvised?

Wikipedia has a good description of the various types.

beef rendang is amazing.

Instead of doing all the work that goes into making rendang, I just threw all the ingredients into a dutch oven (used lemon juice instead of lemon grass), brought it to simmer, adjusted the seasonings, then finished it off in the oven for a couple of hours while I kept my fingers crossed hoping the whole thing would work.

Well, I pleased to report my son and I rather enjoyed this dish. This one’s definitely going in my recipe box.