Help me become more interesting!

I’m going with the general sentiment: everything is interesting to someone. What you want is someone who is interested in you and not in some facade. Not to make this sound like sour grapes, but this isn’t just an opportunity for her to find out about you but the other way round, too.

If a woman, no matter how attractive, asks you what is your favorite thing to do in your spare time, be honest.

Suppose it’s reading. She’s either interested in reading generally, or she’s into you generally and she’s just making small talk.

Or she thinks reading is dull and she could really be looking for a daredevil snowboarder who does night-boarding by helicopter in the avalanche-prone back country, parachuting blindfolded on his board while tied to a bag of cheetahs; or looking for a billionaire playboy international jet-setter who has a private continent and the body of a calender construction worker who will buy her diamond-encrusted diamonds while his purebred cloned saber-tooth tigers wearing diamond rings as they play in his kidney-shaped pool the size of Wisconsin; or looking for a humble and heartfelt writer-actor-musician-poet with a black beret and large soulful eyes bigger than Dondi’s head who will wax philosophical about her beauty as he works hard to grow the poor, eat the whales, and save brown rice. Or… you get the idea.

In the first two cases, you’re in — or at least you haven’t made any big mistakes. In the last case, if she wants what you’re not, reconsider whether it would have worked in the first place.

The bottom line is you want to be with someone who suits you. My husband and I met through an internet dating service, and we just matched each other (in other words, we’re both big geeks and proud of it). It’s been said here a couple of times, but there is a reason that people are always recommending that you just be yourself; it would be way too hard to try to keep up a facade in the long run (you have seen sitcoms, I presume. )

That said, there’s nothing wrong with expanding your list of interests if it’s something you are into, not just something you’re doing to try to make yourself more attractive to chicks.

And finally, have you heard that joke about the definition of a gentleman? Someone who can play the bagpipes but doesn’t. :smiley:

Another vote for cooking. Or wine if you want to seem slightly pretentious. Lots of people are afraid of cooking and drinking wine because they percieve a certain amount of snobbishness and exclusiveness towards them. If you can act like someone who knows a lot about the subject yet is approachable and willing to teach, then it serves as a good hook for the rest of the conversation.