Help me De-Franciphy America

It’s been known in Britain as The Glums for many years.

Maybe there should be a Brit-based “Francophobia FAQ” so that left-side-of-the-ponders would not need to reinvent the wheel.

[Disclaimer: Antonius Block, although British-born-and-raised and US-based, also lived in France and is not a knee-jerk francophobe.]

I’ll second (or third) the Grand Tetons idea.

On a related note, how long do you think it’ll be before Congress gets tired of everyone laughing at them, and changes the names back? :o

And if I find “Freedom Fries” on the menu at any restaurant I go to, I will call the manager over and tell him that he’s a fickle idiot :wink:

The croissant is a Viennese invention, actually. It was developed as a sort of gastronomic flipping of the bird toward the Ottoman empire, against whom the Austrians fought for quite a period, IIRC. You’ll have to google for a cite, I’m too lazy.

Des Plaines, IL, will now be now as The Plains, IL

Des Moines, IA will now be knows as The Little Ones, IA

Couer d’Alene, ID will now be known as Heart of Alene, ID

Wouldn’t it be The Monks?

The French Quarter is now The Gay Section (has been for as long as anyone can tell, but that’s neither here nor there).

Bourbon Street (named for the family, not the liquor) is now Whisky Street.

Café du Monde is now The Decatur Street Donut Shop

Beignets are now Triangular Greaseballs

eau de toilet = shit cleansing water

The town of Versailles in Kentucky will be renamed Versales, since that’s how everyone pronounces it anyway.

I’m changing my name to Fresca.

Ambulance = Hemingway Hearse

Coup d’etat = Regime Change

Debris = Collateral Damage

Dossier = Freedom File

Diplomat = Military Governor

Margarine = I Can’t Believe It’s Frog Butter

Francophobia will now be known as freedomophobia.

Can I play?

“Quiche Lorraine” will now appear on the menu as “Linda’s bacon and egg surprise”.

“Creme brulee” will be known as “burnt vanilla pudding”.

“Pas de deux” will be “Dirty dancing”.

It would indeed. Take it from a former Des Moines resident who got bored one day (go figure) and checked it out.

Baguette = Dough Bat

French Poodle = Bitch O’ Freedom

Deja Vue = Yogi Berra Syndrome

Old episodes of SNL will havbe to redub the Coneheads’ line, “We come from France,” to “We come from Spain.”

Spain: The Joey Bishop of Dubya’s Rat Pack war coalition.