Help me figure out what movie this was

Sometime in the last two years or so I saw a preview for a movie that looked really interesting. It was set in early Victorian England or America. The plot seemed to involve a young new wife moving into a home with both her husband and his father, with her being treated as an interloper. It looked like the home was out in the country. She may have had an affair with someone, but there suggestions of the supernatural, perhaps a feud with the father, etc. (I’m REALLY reaching)

Any guesses? I just realized recently that I don’t think it ever appeared in theaters, but it looked really interesting. It is definitely not more than 3 years old.

You’re not thinking of Crimson Peak, are you? That was the first thing that popped into my mind, which doesn’t really mean anything when you come down to it.

Nope, I’ve figured it out: *Lady Macbeth *(2016)

Weirdly enough, Crimson Peak was the first thing I thought of too, even though virtually none of it matches the description…

Another vote for: “I initially thought you were almost perfectly describing Crimson peak”

Then I’ll be the voice of dissent: I knew immediately what movie you were talking about, but I would never have been able to come up with the title or even any of the actors in it, so I would have had to go on a wild google chase to track down the title.

I quite liked the movie, though mostly what I remember is that poor woman dressed so formally and sitting on a couch, alone in the living room, all day long, day after day. That seemed so brutal.

The other thing that stuck out to me was the weird “put the girl in the sack” fetish thing they had going on in that one scene.