Help Me Find a Recipe for This Kind of Pumpkin Cake

A few years ago, a local restaurant served this FANTASTIC pumpkin cake. I would drag coworkers there. It was the kind of thing where no one was ever that enthusiastic about it before they tried it, but after they had it once, they were converted into raving pumpkin cake fans.

The thing about this pumpkin cake that was different from most others that I have had is that it was like a very soft, fine, pound cake. The pumpkin flavor was fairly moderate, and there was just a hint of the traditional pumpkin pie seasonings, like ginger and nutmeg. In terms of color, it was light buttery gold. They served it unfrosted, with whipped cream on the side.

Most pumpkin cakes I have come across are more of the hearty, quickbread type – darker in color and coarser in texture, like carrot cake. I don’t like that kind. (Well, okay, I rarely meet cake I don’t like well enough, let’s say I don’t especially like it.)

With the recipes I’ve found online, if they have pictures they either look like the other kind of pumpkin cake, or they are frosted and I can’t tell, or they have no picture and I can’t figure out from the ingredients what kind you would end up with.

Anyone know of a good recipe that meets this description? Naturally, the restaurant closed down before it occurred to me to ask about it.

Is this it? Paula Deen’s Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake?

Oh, HELLO. The cake I was talking about isn’t the kind with a filling, but that recipe definitely looks tasty, and I see it can also be made with a chocolate/peanut butter variation.

Did you count the sticks of butter in that bad boy? I made it for Thanksgiving last year and it was actually only okay.

Do you know what the approximate thickness is? Did you see if it was baked like a bunt, layer, or sponge cake? I’m thinking they use less pumpkin to get a lighter cake. I have been thinking of a few ways I can try to make one for a month or so, I will give results if it turns out, but I’m making grape jelly today. No cake today.

My goodness, I think those are officially the saddest words in the English language.

It was served like a slice off of a rectangular loaf, definitely not a wedge like from a bundt or a round. I would agree that it seemed like a “less is more” philosophy on the pumpkin, because it was certainly a very light textured cake and the pumpkin flavor was very mild and not overpowering at all.

You are ten kinds of awesome if you are actually going to take this on as a cake experiment!

It sounds like it was a pound cake, because those pans are like a loaf. I was going to try it sometime and the lemon coconut one is gone. It will be after I catch up on the canning, and jelly making. I’ve seen a pumpkin jelly roll before. I don’t know where.

For people that try this, let me know how you like it.

Pumpkin Pound Cake

Ingredients
2&3/4 cups Granulated Sugar
1 cup - Softened Butter
5 Eggs (large)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Instructions
Heat oven to 350F.
Grease 2 one pound bread pans with shortening, and flour them.

Using a large bowl, mix all the above on low speed for 30 seconds scraping bowl constantly.
Mix for 5 minutes on highest speed. Scrap bowl as needed to ensure all ingredients are well blended.

Ingredients
1/8 teaspoon Ground Cloves
1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
3/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1&1/4 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 cup Canned Pumpkin
1 cup Evaporated Milk

Instructions
Add in the above.
Mix on medium 30 - 90 seconds until blended.
Ingredients
3 cups All purpose flour

Instructions
Add in the flour on low speed 1 cup at a time.
Scrape the bowl until all the flour is incorporated.
Don’t over beat the batter at the flour addition.

Pour into two 1 pound bread loaf pans.
Smooth the batter out.
Bake for 70 to 80 minutes until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool for 20 minutes.
Remove from pan and finish cooling.
Wrap the loaf in plastic wrap while still slightly warm to retain moisture.