Help me identify the Mystery Gear

Hi all, I had a beautiful pendant I made from a gear I got somewhere, a couple of watch parts, and a cut garnet.

The pendant finally disappeared, alas; I would like to try to make another one. It wasn’t exactly a gear in the usual sense. It wasn’t round, and the teeth were only on part of it. I made an imperfect sketch of it here.

It was gunmetal-colored, and I think it may have come from a camera, but I really don’t remember because I had it for years before I used it.

Anybody know what this thing might be called, and possibly where I could get one?

is it this, try a bike shop

Well, no, but you’ve got the general idea. It was quite a bit smaller, maybe an inch tall, 3/4" wide at the top. Narrower at the bottom.

I don’t understand the description “the teeth were only on part of it” vis-a-vis the sketch apparently showing teeth all the way around it.

You’re right. My memory of it is a bit fuzzy. I guess the teeth went all the way around, but were smaller on the bottom? It seemed more like a ratchety thing than a gear.

Found a picture of me wearing it, but the picture’s fuzzy too. :rolleyes:

It’s the pendant on the left.

Here.

A gear with teeth on only part of it is called a sector gear.

Oooooh, thank you, scr4!

I had hours of fun last night asking Google Image for “machine parts” and “irregular gears.” (I love machine parts!) Didn’t find the one I’m looking for, but it was hella cool.