Help me justify a purchase

Do you see this book: Leith’s Techniques Bible? I must have it. It physically pains me that I’m going to have to wait until Christmas because I can’t justify spending that amount of money on a book for myself. I’m trying to come up with reasons to justify why simply must buy it for myself, but a comprehensive book on cookery techniques is hard to justify.

If you’re into cooking, then I can pretty much guarentee that you’ve got one cookery book that you love and trust above all others. One whose layout and style appeals to you, and whose recipies rarely, if ever, let you down. Mine is Leith’s Cookery Bible, bought for my by Javamaven some time ago. I love this book. I use it all the time. I trust it implicitly. If I had children, I would leave them to be babysat by this book.

You see why I must have the techniques bible? I will read it cover to cover. I will love it and squeeze it and call it George.

So please, help me think of a good enough reason to justify buying this for myself.

Because you want it ?

That’s enough justification for me, usually :smiley:

Unless it will cause you to starve, or bills will go unpaid why do you need convincing ?

Improving your cooking skills means you will be more enthusiastic and efficiant at preparing food at home. This means that you will save a thousand times the cost of the book by not buying as much “half-fabricated” food (like M&S). It also means you will be feeding yourself and your family healthier food.

If a healthier life and saving tons of money doesn’t justify it, then I don’t know what does :slight_smile:

Francesca, repeat this to yourself: “I’m good enough. I’m smart enough. And doggone it, people like me!”

After a couple verses of that, see how many reasons you can come up with for NOT buying yourself the book.

I’m being made redundant at Christmas and I don’t have another job lined up yet. I really shouldn’t be spending money on things I don’t actually need. I just want it.

I make it a point to buy myself a Christmas present every year – something absurdly self-indulgent that costs at least $100. Last year it was my Mobius strip bracelet – another year it was a framed Hockney print – etc. It has to be something I could, theoretically, live without – and yet must have.

This purchase can take place any time between Sept. 1st and the end of the year. You’re well within the target dates.

Go for it!

Sorry – didn’t check the link first – this isn’t expensive enough – come back later when you’ve got something worth talking you into. :smiley:

Wish I could help you, I’m trying to justify spending $350 on this cruiser bike. https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/10189/ (It has bowling pin valve caps and martinis on the fenders! Droooool…)

College student checking in.

It’s about as much as a cheap book would cost me.

The difference? You won’t sell it back for 10% of the cost 16 weeks after you buy it.

Lucky you. Lucky you indeed.

Bear in mind that price is in pounds, not dollars. We’re talking nearer $40. I know it’s not the world’s most expensive purchase but, well, I’m poor :slight_smile:

Do the “purchase price divided by number of years” thing. 25 pounds, you’ll be using it for 50 years – that’s only 50p/year, right?

I know it’s 40 dollars. I checked the book on the American Amazon.com site.

That’s still cheap for a college textbook.

I would sit down and see if theres anyway you can “trim the fat” from your budget. Hopefully you can find $40 in there somewhere.

Good Luck!

If you don’t mind a semi-hijack, what is this interesting sounding thing, and where did you get it? Any pictures online? It sounds like a good Christmas present for my wife.

On Topic, don’t justify to yourself. You can’t always break things down into want/need. Sometimes your wants really are needs. After all, what’s money for? To spend.
:slight_smile:

Atrael – the bracelet, I assume? I got it from the Boston Museum of Fine Arts catalogue – but when I went to look for a link just now, it came up “temporarily unavailable.”:confused:

I agree with World Eater, I would go over my budget and trade it off for something. Whether that means brown bagging it for Fridays eat out day, or buying no name brand groceries for the month along with being the coupon queen. Turn down the thermostat 1 degree.

Even Ebay something.

I personally don’t sweat spending money on books and personal development items - it’s an investment. Consider the long term benefits of a good cooking reference. Less wasted food, higher enjoyment for your family for their meals, and your enjoyment.

Good luck in finding that $40.

Go buy yourself something else cheap but indulgent for now, and wait until Christmas for the book. You’ll enjoy it that much more for having waited.