Help me out with some cool trivia for a 10 year old

My ten year old nephew is an Aspie and he loves neat trivia facts. Do you know something that will be up his alley? He loves stuff like “the human head lives for about a minute after its chopped off” and stuff like that.

OK, I’ll start:

Adult humans have 206 bones in their body. Over half of those (106) are in the feet and hands alone.

I’ll start by asking one: What the hell is an Aspie?

Since this does not involve a specific question, it is probably better suited for MPSIMS than GQ.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Asperger Syndrome

Ah! Many thanks.

My son has a book called Weird Facts, Bizarre Stories, and Life’s Oddities, by Ian Harrison. You’d want to check it out before getting it for him. Not knowing where he falls “on the spectrum” I couldn’t be sure the book wouldn’t be too visually stimulating. Some of the pages have severe black/white contrast. The book itself is bright chartreuse with metallic green spots and a dog in an alien costume on the front.

A banana peel can be used as a substitute for shoe polish.
In Germany, it’s illegal to run out of gas on the Autobahn.
You’re more likely to catch a cold from a handshake than a kiss.
The average human has over 60,000 miles of blood vessels.

Fun stuff.

I don’t think I’d tell an Aspie that you’re more likely to get sick from a handshake than a kiss; it’s not the kind of thing you want them fixating on, just in case they decide never to shake hands again. They already come across as kinda weird without lobbing that one on them too.

Those other facts were neat, though! I’m constantly in awe of how many zillion miles of things we have cramped up in our bodies.

Also in the ‘cool trivia’ thing, I only just found out that Scotland Yard isn’t in Scotland, because of another thread on here about basic facts that people have found out late in life. I only just learned that fact, and I’m 36! You could probably skim through that thread (which I’d link if I wasn’t about to race out the door - maybe someone else can do it?) and pick up some nifty things. Like the pineapples not growing on trees thing, for example - I bet most people don’t know that.

And it is longer than a yard, and New Scotland Yard (the present headquarters of the Metropolitan Police) is not in, or even very near, Scotland Yard (the street where the original headquarters were).

The Canary Islands were named after dogs. Canary birds were named after the islands.

As I learned in this thread, (and have not stopped talking about since), John Tyler, 10th President of the United States (inaugurated 20 years before Lincoln) has two living grandchildren.

Don’t tell him that.

“The Australian Coat Of Arms features the Kangaroo and the Emu, not only due to the fact that both of these animals are native to Australia but also as they cannot walk backwards denoting that Australia will continue to move forwards.”

cite (I knew this way before Wikipedia - so it’s true! That’s just where I cut and pasted the text from)

What is the body’s largest organ?

The skin.

Be careful about this – most of those lists of ‘cool trivia’ are either completely false, or vastly exaggerated.

For example:
– head living after decapitation – just plain untrue.
– illegal to run out of gas on the Autobahn – exaggerated misdirection. It’s illegal to stop on the autobahn; if you run out of gas you will stop; so you can claim that it’s illegal to run out of gas on the Autobahn. But that is really stretching the truth to make an absurd-sounding statement. I don’t think there is any German law that specifically outlaws running out of gas on the Autobahn.

If you do get him a book of this stuff, maybe you could also teach him about using common sense & skepticism to evaluate things he reads. And the idea that just because it’s printed in a book or displayed on the internet, it isn’t necessarily true. Learning that will be helpful to him later on.

Tom Dempsey set the NFL record for longest field goal in a regular season game on November 8, 1970, and he has only half a right foot due to a birth defect. He used a special shoe on his kicking foot which prompted a new rule relating to “kicking surface” on shoes in 1977.

Arabic numerals were invented in India.

My favorite go-to trivia fact: At any given moment, any given hummingbird is a matter of *hours *away from starving to death.

(They make it through the night, barely, by slowing down their metabolism. Same with bats, though, of course, bats slow down their metabolism to make it through the day.)

On a related note, baby hummingbirds still in the nest - just about to fly but not quite yet - are bigger than adult flying hummingbirds. The young’uns sit around all day in the nest, the little couch potatoes, and it’s only when they start flying that they burn off all that extra flab. This is why hummingbird nests are made partially from spider webs … makes 'em stretchy and expandable.

My other favorite trivia: no two people see the same rainbow. If there’s a rainbow, and Translucent Daydream’s nephew is standing right next to Translucent Daydream, they do not see the same rainbow. The slight difference in angle means that the sunlight is split a slightly different way through each individual droplet on its way to their respective eyeballs.

Every atom in your body is likely to have once been inside a fiery, nuclear fusing star that later exploded in a magnificent supernova.

And they ain’t all from the same star, neither.

A mouse, a person, and a giraffe all have the same number of neck bones: 7.