Help me pick a Crosstraining plan.

I’ve become a fairly athletic 35 year old male. I’m actively training for my next half-marathon in March and Full Marathon in May aiming to be close to or beat 4:00 hours. Perhaps a mini-triathalon after that (the shorter ones) I’ve recently completed my 200 hour Yoga Cert. I’m a creative oriented person so I enjoy mindful movement and meditative oriented classes.

So in addition to Yoga and the running training, I need to cross train with weights. I will be doing swimming on the weekend, but the last component is weights. I’m in between a few options. I’d put this part of the plan in my routine in between Yoga and running. So a sample week would look like this.

Monday - Weights
Tuesday - Marathon Group Training Night (Hills, Stairs, Sprints)
Wednesday - Recovery Run + Light Yoga and Weights
Thursday - HIIT oriented Run (Hills, intervals) + Weights (Maybe light yoga stretch)
Friday - Yoga (Power + Yin)
Sat - Long Run + Hatha Yoga
Sun - Swim + Yin Yoga

For the Weights Component - I’m inbetween a few options:

1. Kettlebells- I have a set, know a trainer, and could work toward another cert in this area
  2. Crossfit / traditional lifting at a gym - I’m new to this but would be interested in learning
  3. An online website like Gymnastic Bodies - Appeals to my sense of learning how to move efficiently and effectively. Mindful like Yoga

Any thoughts? Thank you

I would move the Thurs. weights to Friday. More recovery and you can do more justice to the weights. Too much hard activity in a day means something gets shortchanged.

When I was still running, my weightlifting tended to emphasize compound moves, lighter weight/high reps and explosive moves.
Bench press
Jump squats
Overhead press
Power cleans
Rows
Deadlift(that one I did heavy and not explosive)

If possible, circuit training is an option or bodyweight exercises.

So do you think I could accomplish your routine with Kettlebells?

Depending on what I do I may invest in some home equipment. A set of dumbells perhaps for something like a benchpress.

I’ve never used (or even seen in real life) kettlebells though I know what they are.

The basic principles that governed my lifting were:
higher reps for endurance and to minimize muscle mass gain
fast movement-even a a slow run, your muscles are contracting faster than when lifting in a standard manner
power-useful for running hills and the finishing sprint
a strong upper body improves posture, efficiency and delays fatigue

What is it you are wanting to accomplish with your resistance component?

I want to improve my running speed overall, but I will be vain and say I desire some pf the physique that can go along with it.

Rule of thumb: you lose 2 seconds per mile per pound gained (fat or muscle).