Help me reinvent my career

So I currently work as a quality control technician. However I have a long term injury in my legs that makes me realize these kinds of jobs aren’t something I can do long term. Jobs that require a lot of standing and walking are probably something I can’t (or shouldn’t) do the rest of my career.

I have a B.S. in biochemistry. My last job was an office job (got laid off) and I don’t think what I did is something I can find another job in. So I am wanting to reinvent my career. Here is what I’m looking for from a new career.

1. Ability to work on a computer or in an office environment (very little standing and walking). At the very least, ability to work from an ergonomic chair.
  2. Something that preferably pays $20/hr or more (as a frugal, single person in the midwest, this kind of salary goes pretty far).
  3. Something that I don’t need to move to a major city to do. I live in Indianapolis which has a million people, but I don’t want something where I’d have to relocate to SF, LA, NYC or Chicago to do.
  4. Something that has decent job opportunities for full time work.

So what careers should I look into? Is there a masters degree I can do online or at home that will prepare me for another career? Science jobs seem to involve a lot of standing and walking.

With my current degree I could look into being a microbiologist, or a medical technologist (it depends on the state. In some states a biochemistry degree will let you be a medical technologist, in other states it won’t).

I could teach english online, but hours are spotty and the jobs are part time.

Any ideas?

Can you possibly teach at a local community college?

I doubt with my degree. Plus teaching at a community college only pays a couple grand a class.

This may sound way out in left field, and may require you to go back to school for a bit, but with a QA background, how much extra statistics course work would you need to sit for an actuarial job? Not as a certifed Actuary (duh.), but something in insurance or .gov that could lead to a job as a full-blown Actuary?

You have no interest in going back to school for a graduate degree in biochem, right? Is there a clinical job you could do with your disability? Though, as a fellow BS/Biochem holder, a BS in biochem really only entitles you to wash glassware. And the pay was abysmal when I looked at clinical jobs way back when.

EDIT: Work for a state criminology program as a someone to run gels or do other criminology lab work?

Have you considered a wheelchair?

Medical transcription jobs? All done at home, familiarity with med terms preferred etc, don’t know what the pay is in the US but here in Aus it’s over $40 per hour.

I think these jobs are going away quickly, with voice-to-text technology advancing as it is.
mmm

Try to get an entry level Telecom or ISP job. My friend just has a GED. After working his way up and job hopping for 15 years, he now makes 90k working for Comcast. Granted, his friends got him in the door at the first job.

Its not nearly that bad.

When you got your B.S. did you have to take computer science classes? I think most science majors have an OK grasp of programming nowadays. With your background, $20 an hour should be easy for QA in IT - which is a desk job - and from there you can move into development roles if you are so inclined.

You currently have a STEM degree, have you considered a Computer Science/Computer Engineering path? Very high demand currently.

I have to disagree with the Telecom suggestion above, my company is full of Telecom refugees when the bubble burst several years ago (in the Engineering area.) Also, the jobs are easily exported.

My last job was kind of in QA in an IT environment (the one I got laid off from). I assumed there were no job openings in that field. When I got laid off my boss told me I’d have to move to the coasts to find another job like that.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by QA in IT? What kinds of tasks would this take?

“Data Science” is a current fad, often asking for some knowledge of another sciencey area. What I’m not sure is if there’s much regional variation in demand. It’s hot here now.

I took a ~60 hour course for about $3.5k. If you can do it full time you can probably find an intensive boot camp.

Running code to find bugs. Basically, any corporation with an IT department will have people doing QA work. I have three working for me right now in the Twin Cities - which does not have an ocean within 1500 miles.

Not only that, most telcom still involves a lot of walking and standing - until you get to the programming routers and other equipment stage - its installation of equipment and wiring.

Here you go - 190 jobs in Indianapolis or within 25 miles paying $70k a year in QA. https://www.indeed.com/q-Quality-Assurance-$70,000-l-Indianapolis,-IN-jobs.html

Look into a QA job for a pharma company. There is a big need for people in the QA world that have a science background.

Could be a deviations investigator looking into QC issues around Raw Materials or lab events.

I’ll send a PM.

Grabbing popcorn and watching this thread. I’m in a similar boat as the OP. Disability which makes much standing or walking hard and a BS in Genetics.

I am seeking retraining under the federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) through my state’s Workforce Development (Unemployment office) or Vocational Rehabilitation office. Locally VR has been less than helpful so hoping Workforce Development will come through. I am considering a paralegal program but the OP might find help with other retraining options through WIOA or state program.

Second on the QA world. If you are accurate and articulate, they need people to document all sorts of programs involving ISO, CE, and others. Manufacturers, distributors, food supply, pharma, much more.