Help! My Zune Completely Quit Working

It knows you’re in Central Time, because it syncs with your computer. The clock is there so it knows when your Zune Pass subscription expires.

It sucks for me because I don’t even use a Zune Pass.

Robin

I knew the Y2K bug would screw things up. I was just 9 years too early.

So it will only happen once every 4 years. What’s the problem? :dubious:

The guy who answered the questions on the page I linked to said that they’ll fix it before 2012.

But, y’know, if you wait long enough, eventually the problem fixes itself!

Robin

You know (don’t you?) that if you use an “old” computer, you’re just asking for trouble…

Sounds like the Zune is freaking out because there’s been 366 days in this year. :smack:

I believe it’s actually the one second that was added that screwed up clock.

Who cares about the cause. I (well, Airman) plugged it in and it WORKS! I’ve got the glorious syncing screen.

Robin

Thanks dudes, coz i was precisely facing the same problem in my zune 30Gb on 31st dec here in India. However, my zune has stopped syncing to new content on my pc since it had a fall from my bed a few months earlier. So, i was thinking that it had finally given up due to the fall and i was just about to buy a new one in this holiday season. Now, i have some hope. Let me try…

366 is too large to break out of the main loop, meaning that the Zune keeps looping forever and doesn’t do anything else:

year = ORIGINYEAR; /* = 1980 */

while (days > 365)
{
    if (IsLeapYear(year))
    {
        if (days > 366)
        {
            days -= 366;
            year += 1;
        }
    }
    else
    {
        days -= 365;
        year += 1;
    }
}

Its not as if the people writing the code are college students isnt it? its Microsoft. Now, i will not cut them any slack for this since they sort of ruined my new year party. Its like i went to a house party this new year where the hosts had their ipod plugged to some computer speakers in the lounge room and there were only a few good party songs thanks to smaller flash memories on the ipod. we had to contend with too many breaks in dancing due to unappropriate songs being played and ultimately got sick of the 2 or 3 good numbers we had. Had i had my zune 30gb in working condition, we would have had an even more rocking new year party. Too bad, i trusted microsoft and it failed me at an important time.

The horror.

Sheesh. Cut 'em a break, willya, adesh_romana. I’m just as addicted to my Zune as anyone else, but c’mon. It’s not like they were permanently fried; they were just out of service for a day. No biggie. :slight_smile:

Robin

Pretty lame programming error though. Where was their software QC?

What software QC? We are discussing Microsoft, after all.

Robin

Surprisingly, it took them less than four years to write the code, so they couldn’t test this case…

:stuck_out_tongue:

Tells you something about either the mentality of those writing the message OR the mentality they EXPECT the consumer base to have. Probably both.

Not just them. The code seems to have been written by Freescale Semiconductor. It somehow managed to escape notice by both them and Microsoft.

Has anyone yet to confirm that the Zunes do indeed work now that they’ve waited a day? I need to calibrate my Microsoft insults depending on how this whole thing turns out.

Mine works, as does Airman’s. We just let the batteries drain yesterday and hooked them up this morning. The batteries charged properly and synced just fine.

Robin

Hey guys , she never said anything about iPhones , pile on

Declan