Help unpack the Washington 2008 Initiatives

I have my ballot and I’m preparing to fill it out. Unfortunately, the voters’ pamphlet is mostly a solid mass of impenetrable legalese, and I’m having a hard time figuring out what these initiatives will really do.

Can anybody help explain 1000, 1029, and 985?

Can’t I just tell you to vote no on I-985 (another Eyman initiative), vote yes on I-1000 (death with dignity) and no on I-1029 (more training for home health care workers)?

Or would you rather I say:

I-985 is poorly written, and I don’t support badly written laws whether Eyman has his fingers in them or not. This would mostly cause havoc on the wet side of the state for now.

I-1000 will not allow your crazy Uncle Jeff to off himself, but it will let your Aunt Nancy with Stage 4 liver cancer request a prescription for life ending meds (if she can find a doc to prescribe them). It does not require doctors to assist people with suicide and it does not encourage people to kill themselves. My only problem with this law is the way the death certs would have to be completed, and I can and have gotten over that. If you saw Martin Sheen’s ad in opposition to this law, you should know that Martin Sheen lied to you.

I-1029 would require home health workers to get additional training. Some would be required to be licensed. However, it would also require training for family members who care for folks in their homes. It would cost DSHS an assload of money to implement. I think it is poorly written and therefore cannot support it.

Tell me how much detail you want in what the laws will do, and I’ll try to give it to you.

Thank your lucky stars you don’t live in Oregon. The Bill Sizemore referenda will make your head spin.

I’m already inclined to vote against anything Tim Eyman has anything to do with (granting a possible exception for an initiative that disallows Tim Eyman from writing any more initiatives).

I’m also inclined to vote for I-1000, because of what my grandmother went through: months of unbearable pain before her death, with my grandfather taking care of her.

Didn’t know anything about I-1029, though. Thanks for the heads-up.

M (extremely) HO is essentially the same as stretch’s, and for approximately the same reasons.

If you’re interested in debates on the initiatives, you can go to TVW and put the initiative number in the “Find” box. I’ve done this in the past, but I’m kind of scared to do this for 985 — listening to Tim "I"man tends to make my IQ and blood pressure go in opposite directions, and I can’t afford much movement in either.

Oh, and Duckster, the fact that Tim isn’t as bad as Sizemore is one of his few saving graces. Every little bit helps. . . .

Bless Eynman’s heart. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good thread - I just got my ballot in the mail and need to sit down sometime to wade through everything.

Then you’re OK in my book. :slight_smile:

Meet Tim Eyman. The man about whom someone once bothered to submit I-831 Tim Eyman is a horse’s ass. At least he’s never run for anything.

DONE!

…(last week, not just because you said).

The past few mornings I have been listening to Dave Ross on KIRO radio, he has been discussing the initiatives and if someone is going to give a fairly impartial view, it is Ross.

Initiative 1000 is modeled exactly after the Death With Dignity Act in Oregon. The guy Ross talked to that is against the initiative just harped on the the issue that doctors will just kill off terminal patients instead of treating them. The guy struck me as very uninformed. Ross talked to a former Oregon governor on the for side. She stated that the law has only been used 81 times since it was passed and that over 200 terminally ill folks changed their minds after asking about using the law. It will also be illegal for doctors to suggest the law, the patient must ask then go through the gauntlet before the prescription is written. I have always been a fan of former Governor Booth Gardner who helped bring this initiative to the voters so I will vote for it. I also watched a couple loved ones die long painful deaths, I don’t want to go the same way. I would like to have the option to end my misery.

As stated I-985 is another Eyeman initiative. I don’t trust this guy since his first self serving initiative and now he has become a talking head for those that want special interest laws passed. It is supposed to be a traffic congestion relief bill, all I see it doing is putting a lot of taxpayer’s money in the pockets of various contractors. Instead of using funds that is budgeted for the DOT to perform much of the changes the law will require, it directs the funds to come from the general fund. Eyeman was promising faster commute times for everyone and that the state can easily cover the costs from it’s rainy day fund, schools and other state funded programs won’t have to be cut if 985 passes. The state auditor Brian Sonntag gave the against argument, he stated that this is like some other Eyeman initiatives, it looks good on the outside but has too many holes on the inside. Sonntag also stated that the for side twisted his report on the initiative. He also said there are things that need to be done to reduce traffic congestion but this is the wrong approach. As you can tell, I am against this. Sorry about the one sided view. It’s not going to change my commute whether it passes or not, it’s just a matter of principle to me.

I haven’t heard the discussion of I-985 yet. From reading the voters pamphlet, if passed long term health care workers to be certified and pass background checks. My thinking is if I end up in a nursing home who do I want wiping my butt after I use the bed pan. I am leaning towards voting yes. My step daughter works with physically handicapped folks and her employer has been pushing their employees to tell everyone to vote no, it will cost them more money and the level of care will be reduced, not improved.

I agree that Eyman is a horse’s ass. But I know the guy who filed the initiative, and he’s one too. Irony abounds.

Who says democracy is no fun?

If you’re a commie pinko liberal, you might want to check out the endorsements from The Stranger, complete with handy cheat sheet. I’m a CPL and their endorsements generally map pretty well to what I’d vote for.