help with fun summer music mix

Hey - I’m trying to make a really fun summer mix for a friend that needs cheering up. She is from Hawaii and likes that kind of sound, she wouldn’t be into hard rock or oldies (so, no easy Beach Boys or Summer in the City). She likes most popular top 40 type music (no electronica, nothing screechy or atonal). Moderate hiphop stuff would be okay.

I’ve been goofing around on iTunes doing searches on Sun, Summer, Hot, etc. Here’s what I have so far, any other suggestions would be welcome!

Here Comes Summer - The Yum Yums
Sunshine Girl - Britt Nicole
Hot Hot Hot - Buster Poindexter
Walking on the Sun - Smashmouth (not sure if I’ll keep this one, I already had it so it was easy to throw on)
I am the Summertime - Feel
Steal My Sunshine - Len
Hot - Avril Lavigne
Summer Sunshine - The Corrs
Soak Up the Sun - Sheryl Crow
Summer Girls - LFO
Summer Breeze - Jason Mraz (she likes this artist a lot)
Pocketful of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield
Rain in the Summertime - the Alarm (not sure if this is a good fit)
Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves
See the Sun - The Kooks
Summertime - Bon Jovi (not sure if this one is staying)
Sunshine Girl - BettySoo (2 named Sunshine Girl, but they are both very different)

It Must be Summer - Fountains of Wayne
Unemployed in Summertime - Emiliana Torrini

I realize it qualifies as an oldie ( :frowning: ) but you can’t really go wrong with Here Comes the Sun (Beatles)

And how about Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Ka’amakawiwo’ole?

photopat She’s not a Beatles fan, so that one is out! She actually does like Bruddah Iz a lot, but I’m not sure if that song fits the theme (summer, hot, fun). I did find another Hawaiian artist to include as the last song - it’s a instrumental by Kapono Beamer called Sunny Afternoon.

Ludovic I love that Fountains of Wayne song, but I’m cheering her up due to a break up situation (which I probably should have clarified in the op!) so I am going to skip that for this CD (I really like the song though). I can’t find the other song on itunes :\

Summersong by The Decemberists fits the bill nicely.

As does Sun, Sun, Sun by The Elected (a side project of Rilo Kiley’s Blake Sennett).

Island in the Sun - Weezer
Summertime - Sublime
Summertime - Will Smith

The one photopat rec’d … so beautiful. A friend had that at their wedding, such a lovely lovely song!

It’s true, I should have said “it’s a good fun summer song unless you’re going through a breakup or about to go through a breakup.” :slight_smile:

Sweet Escape - Gwen Stefani (?..guess it touches a lil on the love thing)
Superfabulous - BT (w/Rose McGowan) girl powerish song

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming! The Decemberist song was a little alternative for my friend, but I downloaded it for me :slight_smile: I also love Superfabulous (a little too electronica-y for my friend). I had forgotten about Island in the Sun, I think I have that one! Two people have now suggested Summertime by Sublime, but sadly not on itunes.

“Sun” by Toms
“Today is the Day” by Apollo Sunshine
“There Goes the Sun” by The Pernice Brothers

It’s not quite in the same vein, but I’ve always thought “Push th’ Little Daisies” by Ween is a great summer song. Give it a chance, it may grow on you.

I think these songs are warm and summer-y:
“Light & Day / Reach For The Sun” - Polyphonic Spree
“Late Summer Fields” - Solarstone & Alucard
“Summerdream” - Kuffdam & Plant
“Eugina 2000 (Progressive Summer Mix)” - Salt Tank
“The Sun’ll Shine” - Ohmna
“White Sand” - Sunlounger
“The Sunlight” - Breakfast
“Touch The Sun” - Alex Bartlett Featuring Anthya
“Summer Sun” - Afterburn
“Helsinki Scorchin’” - Super8 + DJ Tab
“Summerbreeze” - Kamaya Painters
“Light The Skies” - Cerf & Mitiska Featuring Jaren

How about old and psychedelic?

Hot Summer Day (YouTube) by It’s a Beautiful Day

Thanks for the suggestions! She’s REALLY not into electronica or trance-sounding stuff (she’s definitely a top 40 type listener) but I had fun listening to all the songs. Hot Summer Day by It’s A Beautiful Day is interesting, it isn’t exactly right for this individual’s mix since I’m really looking for happy, upbeat, uptempo cheer-up music for the summer, but I enjoyed the youtube video!