Help with Kitty Breast Cancer

I really need help guys…

Yesterday as I was playing with one of my cats I noticed a bump on her tummy. Further exploration indicated her nipple was swollen and I also found several bumps forming a line from her nipple to her belly button (yes, they have belly buttons). After looking at the nipple and poking about, the nipple disgorged some brown fluid that was sticky, but without smell.

So, I’ve researched this issue and it appears she probably has mammary cancer and it is likely pretty advanced. Vet appointment is tomorrow. She is a fixed female who is approximately 7-8 years old. She did go through her first heat and was in fact knocked-up when I ‘borrowed’ her from her owners and had her fixed. This does apparently matter when it comes down to whether or not it is cancer.

Here are my questions:

Anyone’s cat ever have breast cancer?

What was the outcome?

What treatment(s) was/were used?

What was the cost?

Also, anyone ever have this happen where it wasn’t breast cancer?

This is breaking my heart because my Bailey-cat is the sweetest/bitchiest kitty ever and I feel like this is punishment 'cause I was considering getting a kitten from the litter of stray kitties my neighbor has. I’d like to get an idea of this before I get to the vet tomorrow if at all possible and google isn’t helping too much other than making it quite clear that my kitty has breast cancer.

Allright, off to cry now…I mean uh work…

my dog had breast cancer. she had a masectomy. recovery was a bit hairy for a couple of weeks but now, 5 years later she’s just fine. dont really remember the cost. maybe $400 ?? good luck!

We lost a cat to breast cancer last year. Symptoms pretty much what you had described, except that hers was more advanced as she was not very social so it went undetected and untreated longer. The vet who examined her told us that surgery would cost $800-$1200, which we couldn’t afford so we wnt with other treatment. Eventually the tumors broke open and we took her to a different vet, who said that the original operation would have cost less than $400 (which we would have spent) but by now the cancer had spread to her lungs, and there wasn’t much they could do.

IIRC the vet will probably want to do x-rays to see if there are any spots on the lungs and blood tests to verify that there aren’t any conditions which might complicate the surgery. Muffin was about the same age as yours, and had had two litters but was never fixed, which we were told increased the odds of her getting mammary cancer.

Good luck at the vets. My thoughts are with you.

Don’t fret quite yet, ** BBJ**. The risk of mammary cancer in cats is very rare in spayed females. You can’t really know for sure if she has malignancy until a biopsy is performed, so try your best to stay hopeful until then.

In addition to biopsy, the vet will look for signs of metastasis by taking x-rays of the lungs. The presence or absence of metastasis (in the case of malignancy) will probably determine how aggressive the treatment will be. The most conservative approach will entail mastectomy (not extremely expensive); the most aggressive approach will entail that plus several rounds of chemo (more $$). Also, the physical condition of your cat will have to be factored in.

I have never seen mammary adenocarcinoma in cats, but I’ve seen several cases in dogs. These dogs showed the nastiest mammary tumors in the world, but managed to do well after surgical removal alone. IIRC, some of these tumors looked quite heinous, even though they were benign. So don’t give up hope yet until the definite diagnosis is rendered. I completely empathize with your feelings. Keep us posted.

–ywtf, dvm

I have never owned a cat, but you and Lurkmeister have my sympathy. I know how gut-wrenching this can be. My dog had to have surgery for mammary tumors back in May (3 tumors - 2 benign and one cancerous). She appears to be doing well.
One thing I learned when I was researching was that it may be a good idea to consult a veterinary oncologist because information about chemotherapy can change so quickly that a general vet may not be able to keep up with the most recent information.
I hope that everything works out well for your cat.