Here comes the next phony John Kerry "outrage."

His mother pees, of course. Don’t we all?

:dubious:

He said “peer pressure”, not “pee pressure.”

Just because you old guys have trouble with bladder control doesn’t mean the whole world is pissing their pants, you know.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, I think you’ve clearly conceded that on the two issues I was addressing that he was wrong.

I have a plenty good moral conscious, and it’s why I think the US should help when it can. But that’s a far cry from saying that people in Africa (or elsewhere) are entitled to our help. You know who you remind me of? I had a neighbor who lost his car years ago. I felt bad for him and I started giving him a ride to work and sometimes to the store and stuff. It wasn’t long before he started to call me any old time “Hey, I need to go to Giant, I’ll come right over”. I offered to help him out because I had the ability to do so and because I tend to help people when I can. After a few days of this, my neighbor started to think he was entitled to my help, regardless of weather or not it inconvenienced me. Obviously, you don’t have the common sense to see the difference. I can’t help you with that.

The word is “conscience”, not "conscious.

I have not conceded that Kerry was wrong about anything. You are stuck on the issue of whether it was philosophically right to walk away from Kyoto or help with AIDS in Africa when all that matters with respect to Kerry’s statement is whether our actions in those regards has had the effect of alienating other countries. It doesn’t matter if we were right or wrong. That has nothing to do with the accuracy of the statement that those actions (or inactions) have made us a pariah.

“Entitlement” has nothing to do with moral obligations, by the way. There is no requirement for someone to be “entitled” to your help in order for you to be morally obligated to do so.

Well, that depends…

There has to be a “pampered” joke in here somewhere.

Great post, Weirddave. They’re going to slam you for the next three pages or so for it, of course. That’s the best post I’ve seen on the SDMB in months.

Oh, Kerry’s comment? Stupid.

SOrry. I copied and pasted the code for designating your uote but forgot to change the name to Bill Door.

Only that I pretty much agree with him.

The man has no concept of a talking point. We all saw that in 2004. The Republicans and the right-wing managed to hang all sorts of things on him because the man simply cannot shut up and speak in a sentence with fewer than three clauses. You could ask Kerry about what the weather is supposed to be for tomorrow and he’d still be going on about the jet stream and El Nino and ridges of high and low pressure and the 14-day forecast and whatnot when all you wanted was the approximate high and whether or not to take your umbrella. And by the time he would finally shut up, you would have already turned on the Weather Channel or looked on the internet or whatever and gotten the information and wish he’d just shut the hell up and go away.

"They bought their tickets. They knew what they were getting into. I say, 'Let ‘em crash!’ "

• Airplane

All very true. Except what’s made the US a global pariah isn’t our fucking policy regarding AIDS in Africa or signing the Kyoto treaty, it’s the fucking Iraq war, innit?

If Kerry complained that the piss-poor conduct of the Iraq war had turned the US into an international pariah, and it was mostly Bush’s fault (plus the American people’s fault for electing him) well, the truth hurts.

Except he cited AIDS in Africa and the Kyoto treaty. Which is ridiculous. We aren’t hated because we were slow to respond to AIDS in Africa. We aren’t hated because we didn’t ratify the Kyoto treaty. We’re hated because of the FUCKING IRAQ WAR and all the ancillary bullshit that Bush has pulled due to the Iraq war.

Diogenes, your complaint is completely baseless. If Kerry wanted to point out we were an international pariah, and as proof he pulls out AIDS and Kyoto, he’s an idiot who couldn’t argue his way out of a paper bag. This shows again he’s so stupid and inept at communicating which is why he couldn’t even win an election against George Bush, history’s greatest monster. A fucking ham sandwich could have beaten Bush in 2004, but Kerry blew it.

No argument with any of this, really. He picked some pretty trivial examples. He couldn’t beat history’s dumbest monster. We’re hated because of war, not because of Kyoto.

But the right wasn’t freaking out because they thought Kerry picked poor examples for WHY the world hates us. They’re upset because he used the word “pariah.” Their outrage is no more nuanced than that.

“The right” does not consist of John Kasich. For something that “the right” is supposed to be beating the drums about, the only place I’ve heard about it is in your thread, and on CNN’s web page (although they simply reported it as “Kerry Slams US foreign Policy” as a straight news story, not commentary).

It’s on the blogs. It’s on other boards. Google “Kerry pariah” and you’ll find lots of outrage. Anyway, you’ll notice that I couched my OP as more of a prediction than a reaction. Fox News was all over it at the time. Maybe it didn’t blow up as much I thought it would, but if you look around at all, you’ll see that those who are upset about it are upset about the word itself and are accusing Kerry of “slamming America.”

<aside>I’m not sure if Hillary can ever be elected president (or that she’ll even make a good president), but if she does get elected, one things I’ll enjoy is seeing everyone on the Right having a fit and getting an aneurysm. </aside>

If you mean Rush et al, you’ve got it all wrong. He will be in hog heaven (pun intended) if Hillary gets elected. Bush doesn’t give him any material to use for his purposes.

Fox News still refers to Kerry’s earlier botched joke as slandering the troops.

Get thou to an optician right-quick, or, better yet, a brain-transplant surgeon.

Waaay past the psychiatric/lunatic stage.

Christ but you are a dumb fuck. Licking dingleberries off of InsaneDave’s ass. Dunno how any post can get any more pathetic than that.

…and yet somehow you managed it.