Heroes 12/8/08 "Our Father" (spoilers)

It’s good to see that Sylar’s a villain again, and the silliness of him being a Petrelli was shown to be false.

And we have a set up for next season, with that marine they tested the formula on becoming the Green Goblin!

I think this was the best episode so far this season… I really like the scenes of Hiro and his mother. He’s always been my favorite character anyway.
Also I love the look on Noah’s face as the realization of just who FutureClaire is dawns upon him.

Nice job with the Bennetts’ 16-year-ago makeup. & Hiro and his mom was a good scene. As was Sylar in the elevator. Peter failing to shoot was just lame.

I wonder how many more right-before-he-died paintings, comic books, placards, postcards, sketches, computer desktop images, etc. Isaac managed to draw? Isn’t this like the 8th set of previously undiscovered posthumous paintins of his?

Someone’s probably making a killing painting “genuine, never before seen works by the late Isaac Mendez”.

Ninth Wonders.

So, Hiro begs his mommie to give him the “light” because “I am strong enough to protect it!” and is immediately proven wrong by Arthur Petrelli. (Who is now speaking not just like a villain, but like a Saturday morning cartoon villain: “I’ll take that, and I’ll take your powers too! You’re a dead man!”)

So glad Sylar is back to being a baddy. I about peed myself when he said “cake?”

since arthur has peters healing power once the haitain went away he would heal. god i hope not he’s a terrible character, i’m done with all the f-ing petrelli’s.

Doubling that with Angela specifially saying “a bullet to the BACK of the head”…

as much as I am so tired of this show, I just cant stop watching - yet.

Lets hope the bullet just stays in, nipping all regeneration attempts in the bud; anything else would really be too stupid, even for Peter.

Also, way to get rid of the walking Deus ex Machinas – both Peter and Hiro being rendered powerless by Arthur, he is subsequently killed. Anti-climactic, but both were really just plotbreakers having to be constantly and contrivedly nerfed.

My projection on this is they all (Maya too) have had their abilities yanked but they still have the genetic makeup that caused them in the first place. They could develop new/different ones under the right circumstances. A good ole adrenaline rush and they’re back. Maybe Hiro will just be able to travel through space and not time. Or only forwards for those ever entertaining what-could-be episodes.

My prediction on this (read: baseless speculation) is that Ando gains a power-giving power after treating himself to a dose of super sauce, which happens to express itself through red lightning (note how the sauce was red, too), so that Ando zapping Hiro in the future was just him trying to give Hiro his power back; also a good way for the writers to claim ‘see, we did plan all this in advance! Totally not making stuff up as we go!’.

Actually, this kind of plotting-by-fanservice is probably the most annoying thing about Heroes for me. I’ve never seen that sort of crap work out well, whether tv or comics, but especially this season the plot has shifted and swerved at the whim of fan outrage.

Sylar is supposed to die. Fans complain. Sylar doesn’t die. Fans like Sylar. Sylar now starts to reform. Fan outrage. Sylar goes back to status quo.

Peter doesn’t know how to use his powers. Fans complain. Peter learns how to use his powers. Fans whine that he is too powerful. Peter loses his powers.

Fans complain about events causing the characters to be randomly connected to each other’s stories. It turns out that most of the characters are related. Fans complain now that the connections between characters aren’t random. Turns out some of those connections were lies. Yay?

Hiro time travels to the future. Fans like that. Hiro time travels to the past. Fans hate that. Switch back to time traveling to the future again – this time, with Peter. Oops, fans hate that now, too. Okay, no time travel then. Fans don’t like that, either. Fine, then, abortions for some, miniature American flags for others. Yay!

I wish they would just take a stand and stick with it. Peter and Hiro being powerful ARE NOT show-killers. What you do with them, can be. And doing what the fans want done to them most certainly IS BEING so.

Could someone explain exactly what happened in the last 5 minutes? I unfortunately had to leave and missed what happened after Hiro got the light from his mom.

Hiromom died. Hiro went out onto the Rooftop of Destiny, and met up with Claire. Before she had time to react to being told that Hiro had the catalyst in him, grandpa Arthur smarmed his way onscreen, thanked them for allowing him to overhear that, and sucked Hiro’s powers – and the catalyst light – away.

Arthur then tossed Hiro off the side of the building. He told Claire to tell Angela that “it was over”, he’d won, then touched Claire and teleported her back (presumably). He himself then teleported back to Pinehurst.

There, Not!Niki and Nathan were standing around admiring the vat of jell-o which Sylar had whipped up. Arthur dumped his glowy into the vat, then sensed a disturbance in the Force and had to go off to fight Obi-Wan. Er, Peter and the Haitian.

At Nathan’s behest, Mohinder sinisterly injected Military Guy, who had some moments of Star Trekish sfx (shaking around in his chair), then busted out of his restraints, and tossed his chair through the plate glass and into a wall. He then basked in the admiration of his new boyfriend Nathan, who probably thought that Pinehurst had too many useless plate glass walls, anyway.

Meanwhile, Arthur was trying the old Jedi mind trick on Peter, who was falling for it (as per usual), while the Haitian dialoged that Arthur was too strong for him to hold, and Peter should just shoot him, already. Peter waits long enough for Arthur to overcome the Haitian, then shoots, but the bullet is stopped…

By Sylar, who just walked in. Dun-dun-dunnnn. Sylar uses his new mojo to determine that he is NOT a Petrelli, and then tells Peter that while Pete is not a killer, Sylar is – or presumably that’s what he said, since the cheering of fans everywhere pretty much drowned out the dialog.

Sylar zips the bullet into Arthur’s head, then leaves. Peter indicates the Haitian should go after Sylar (alone: genius), then watches his father bleed out on the carpet while the glowy light diffuses out of him. Its unclear whether we’re supposed to think the catalyst is gone, or if Peter got some on him because he was standing there.

Hiro, by the way, was holding on to a flagpole out the side of the building in the past, just below the Rooftop of Destiny. Which is a stupid place to put a flagpole, many stories in the air where no one would could see it. But, whatever. Anyway, in the present the other trio had read Isaac’s lost notebook and figured all that out. Ando decided they must go to Pinehurst so that he can get time travel powers to go back to save Hiro.

We’re all sure that will work out real well, too.

Doesn’t the Haitian ever get tired of being called “the Haitian”? Did his brother ever call him by name? Does he even have a name?

So, Arthur’s not Sylar’s father; that doesn’t necessarily mean that Angela’s not his mother. Maybe she got freaky with Lindermann.

I was mildly disappointed with Masa Oki’s acting in the scene where he regained all his memories. Going from 10 years old to fully aware…didn’t do it for me. I was hoping for something along the lines of when Haley Joel Osment activated his “love” chip in A.I..

Other than that, I was pretty happy with this episode - one of the best of the season IMO.

Especially now that he talks, you’d think he’d tell someone his damn name.

I know; it’s annoying. Why don’t they call him, “that Haitian guy,” if they don’t know his name. Why doesn’t he stop them and say, “Uh…my name’s Jim.”

It’s really weird.

His brother did mention the names have power thing. Maybe the Haitian believes the same thing.

The Haitian’s name, option #1: He’s just mortified that the writers will stick him with a cringe-inducing cliche name like “Baron Samedi” as they did with his brother.

The Haitian’s name, option #2: He forgot.