Herpes, anyone?

I remember that back in the mid-80’s that one of the symptoms associated with AIDS was Kaposi’s sarcoma.

Recently, though, I’ve seen that most medical types think it’s probably related to a strain of herpes.

If so, what accounted for the earlier false connection between AIDS and KS?

It’s not a false connection. Karposi’s Sarcoma is an opportunistic cancer that can take hold when the immune system is supressed. Not all AIDS patients get Karposi’s Sarcoma, and not all Kaprosi’s Sarcoma patients have AIDS, but there’s a pretty high correlation.

Hadn’t heard of KS being related in any manner to herpes.

Will work for sig line.

KS has been associated with a human herpes virus known alternately as KSHV and HHV-8. It is more closely related to Epstein-Barr than the simplex herpesviruses. It’s still under debate as to the role of the virus in KS. Right now, it is generally thought that HHV-8 is necessary but not sufficent for KS.

A Medline search of those viruses or of Dr. Don Ganem of UCSF should give you some more info on the KS - HHV-8 link.

If I wanted smoke blown up my ass, I’d be at home with a pack of cigarettes and a short length of hose.

Ummm, no thank you?

Best!
Byz

Dammit, Byz, that’s what I was going to say!

“That’s entertainment!” —Vlad the Impaler

Yes, please. And, may I have a side of gonorrhea, with some chlamydia sauce to go with that, ma’am?

“Teaching without words and work without doing are understood by very few.”
-Tao Te Ching

If current epidemiological figures are correct, around 90% of you should be responding “No thanks. Just had some.”

You infectious freaks.

If I wanted smoke blown up my ass, I’d be at home with a pack of cigarettes and a short length of hose.

Just in time for the Holidays!!

The gift that keeps on giving, no wrapping required!!

so you found a girl who thinks really deep thoughts. what’s so amazing about really deep thoughts? Tori Amos

After a startlingly intelligent OP, we have managed to bring this heavy topic down to MPSIMS level in just 7 posts.

We’re SO skilled :wink:

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)