Hey, ad people-- words mean things!!!

It’s so you don’t get them confused with soft urinal cakes.

Army dots? Sinus.

I hate products that don’t like to be called what they are. See also: commercials in the South* for “manufactured homes” (shitty fucking trailers).

*We certainly have trailer parks up North, but the South is the only place I’ve seen them actually advertised (and advertised all the goddamn time, at that).

That is totally lubricated. Well, I’m phasing.

Marvy. Fab. Far out.

Someone on this board will get this reference.

I’m in marketing and this kind of shit drives me absolutely stabby.

Dumbfucks who put together ads like that are the reason our profession is so roundly loathed.

What the hell is wrong with telling the audience what your product does, why it does it better than the competition and presenting that information in an engaging manner that will prompt the consumer to buy?

There was a commercial last night that I wish I could remember to add to this ranting. I turned to my husband (as I often do while watching commercials) and said, “Blah blah blah? That doesn’t even mean anything!” (“Blah blah blah” being whatever stupid thing the commercial was claiming.)

There are billboards around town right now for some car that say, “Luxury is the New Rugged.” No, it freakin’ well isn’t. “Stabby” is a good word for what they make me.

According to their most recent commercial, Barbasol has shaving creams in “seven flavors.”

I’m not in their target audience, but I have to ask the gentlemen out there: Have you ever been so sleepy in the morning that, while shaving, you have mistaken your shaving cream for something edible?

Especially since “manufactured homes” aren’t necessarily trailers or mobile homes.

Silly! It’s a shaving cream and a dessert topping!

I think this rant needs to be %10 more rasta.

Sure they are, as long as they’re words (e.g. laser). You just can’t use acronyms that aren’t words. Which is to say that you can’t use it if it’s not a word. Acronym has nothing to do with it.

If we’re going to be persnickety about words, this isn’t a matter of tense; it’s a matter of deixis. And while it does strike me as odd when read here devoid of context, perhaps the reason for the word choice is that the narrator is pointing out the bloated feelings of someone on-screen (or even himself), in which case it doesn’t strike me as out of place.

I got that one plasmic, but can you get this one?

“Nefcu?”

“It’s a worm in New Guniea. Everyone knows that.”

Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding.

I’d look it up to prove you wrong, but then you’d just look up the one I used with all the X’s and Z’s.

WHAT?!?! I’ve been using it as a floor wax!!

Out here in CA, when you see " New Homes for sale" they always mean condos. Why not say condo?

I don’t have a problem with this one - if it can describe varieties of subatomic particles or versions of an operating system, then types of shaving cream isn’t much of a stretch.

But can you add taste to it?

Didn’t Bobs Shitty Fucking Trailer Store eventually go out of business sometime last year or so?