Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a DVD outta my hat!

So who’s all running out with me to buy the Season 1 Rocky & Bullwinkle DVD today?

I probably will. My mother (who died recently) loved that show. Especially “Fractured Fairytales”, which I also find rather amusing

Ward Productions spent three years restoring moose and squirrel, Mr. Peabody, Dudley, and the whole gang to pristine quality. These new prints, titled Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends, have been seen elsewhere, but never in America-until now! From what I hear, it looks pretty good. I’ll be on the lookout for this one.

Taking a look at the discs (which I purchased yesterday), they’re pretty good. The Wardian wit is still strong. I laughed at the final pun in the William Sherman Peabody skit, even though I knew what it was going to be! Perhaps it’s Bill Scott’s deadpan delivery?

The discs feature the newly-restored syndicated Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends prints, which open with Jay Ward’s favorite opening sequence, which features Bill Conrad intoning, “A thunder of jets in an open sky, a streak of grey and a friendly ‘Hi!’…” before introducing Rocky, Bullwinkle, “and a host of others.” Bullwinkle gets a few one-liners in before the limo they’re riding in crashes into a tunnel (thanks to a detour set up by one Boris Badenov). Many of the original bumpers are here, including Bullwinkle’s tragic magic (“Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat!”) and commercial intros (“Fan mail from some flounder?”)

A small “R&B” watermark appears on the first ten seconds of each cartoon, but Classic Media has explained this is because Ward cartoons (including Bullwinkle) have often been bootlegged over the years, and they don’t want these fine prints stolen.

You’ll see the first two adventures of our heroes (“Jet Fuel Formula” and “Box Top Robbery”) and various shorts, including a “Dudley Do-Right” presumed lost after it got Ward in trouble with the U.S. Forest Service.

I’m liking this. You probably will, too. Now there’s something I hope you’ll really like!

Excellent! I was going to ask if Stokey the Bear was on there. (Remind me again why I got rid of my copy of “The Moose That Roared”? Dumb Dumb Dumb.

-Myron

It’s out now? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :smiley:

The only reason I haven’t run out and bought it is that my birthday is coming up (8/18), and my hubby is probably going to get it for me.