Hey, waittaminnit -- how did Karl Rove know Valerie Plame was CIA?

So, it’s finally confirmed that Karl Rove leaked Valerie Plame’s status as a CIA agent to the press. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8445696/site/newsweek/ That clears that up. But how did Rove know Plame was CIA? He’s only the president’s “political advisor,” isn’t he? Presumably a White House Staff position, and I don’t think the WH staff are routinely privy to classified information. Did he get the dope from somebody in the CIA? From the director? From the president? Does he have a note from the president that says “Give this man whatever he wants”?

You may find a lot of your questions discussedin this current thread.

This is probably about right.

I know nothing about clearance levels. but my guess is that anyone who works closely and regularly with the President almost has to have some level of security clearance. Rove would have to sit in on some high-level meetings, and it’s understandable that when the President is dealing with how to handle sensitive information, he may sometimes need the input of his political advisor.

(This assumes that said political advisor is someone who can be trusted with classified information, which Rove clearly can’t. The biggest crime in Bush letting him get away with this for two years may not be that he is still working in the White House, but that he still has his security clearance.)

As was mentioned in another thread, the authors of Bush’s Brain seem to think that Rove’s clearance level is very high indeed, so this is probably not outside his range.

This article identifies him as the Deputy Chief of Staff.

That’s a recent promotion. He wasnt DCoS back when the leak happened.

No, not really. There is still a lot more to the story:

At least TWO administration officials made six calls to press sources. Only Novak ran with the news, but the rest know who the officials were. The administration is way more concerted and involved, and even ADMITTED to being so way back when, than they are saying now.

I dont think Rove’s title matters at all. He probably knows more than Bush about nearly everything.

My guess is, Dick Cheney told him. We all know that Cheney loves to meddle with the CIA. Cheney also hangs out at the White House to keep Dubya in line. I’m sure Cheney and Rove talk often.

My guess is George Tenet told the gang at a staff meeting. So what if he was the CIA director, he was a Bush man above all, and in a fine position to know. The other official Novak talked to could have been any of them, including Tenet.

That’s likely true about three-quarters of the SDMB membership. :wink:

It was pretty much common knowledge to Washington Insiders, anyway. Her husband “outed” her on her website before Rove allegedly “leaked” her identity.

Yawn

There is a world of difference between something that is “common knowledge among insiders” and something that has been leaked to the press and confirmed by the government.

Please point out where Joe Wilson revealed, on his website or anywhere else, that his wife worked for the CIA.

(Hint: Her name was on the website as Wilson’s wife, but it was not classified information that Joe Wilson had a wife named Valerie Plame. It was classified that Valerie Plame worked for the CIA.)

Kool-AID! Kool-AID! Git’chah Kool-Aid heeyah!

Coudl you provide a citation for this?
The only cite that I’ve ever seen associated iwt his claim had her name, yet failed to mention that she was CIA agent and thus utterly failed to “out” her. I"m not even sure why the person who presented it thought that it did “out” her.

Perhaps you have a better cite where Mr. Wilson says she works for the CIA.

Here’s the site I was directed to: Corporate and Public Strategy Advisory Group Ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV

What website did you see where Mr. Wilson “outed” his wife?

Could you provide a citation for this?
The only cite that I’ve ever seen associated with his claim had her name, yet failed to mention that she was CIA agent and thus utterly failed to “out” her. I**’**m not even sure why the person who presented it thought that it did “out” her.

Perhaps you have a better cite where Mr. Wilson says she works for the CIA.

Here’s the site I was directed to: Corporate and Public Strategy Advisory Group Ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV

What website did you see where Mr. Wilson “outed” his wife?

This is what bugs me about the whole thing; how did Rove find out? Obviously the question was asked “What do we have on Wilson?” and the answer included “his wife works for the CIA.” but who told Rove?

#1. Cheney might have told him, maybe Bush, but would Rove have asked them in the first place?

#2. I don’t think Rove did his own legwork; surely he’s too busy? But then who had the clearance to find out, and the lack of status to work as Rove’s gopher? (OK, besides Powell …)

#3. Is there some super top-secret version of Google that includes the CIA files that Rove just typed the name into?

#4. MAybe Rove just phoned up the guy who sent Wilson and asked WTF were you thinking, and CIA man said that Plame had mentioned Wilson’s name, and Rove says “Who the hell is Plame? His ass is toast!” and poor CIA shmuck #1 said “a-actually… Mr. Rove, sir…”

OK, I’m going with #4.

Also, Psycho Pirate even if Mr. Wilson took out twelve dozen billboards and an hour and a half of primetime television to point out that his wife was an undercover CIA agent, it would not declassify that information.

No, no, PatriotX, your first instinct was right. Don’t let him side-step into a debate about the nature of declassifying such information.

I join in the call for Psycho Pirate to provide a link or reference of some kind that illustrates just how Joseph Wilson revealed that his wife worked for the CIA. Please endeavor to do so as soon as possible, or alternatively make clear that you have no such information.

Oh, I think what Psycho Pirate knows has been made clear.

I’ll pass on the FlavorAid

:::yawn:::

Elvis, I have a nit to pick with you. George Tenet was not Bush’s man. He was appointed by Clinton. Bush obviously considered Tenet expendable. That’s why he was set up and then thrown away.

I know who appointed him. But Tenet’s loyalty to the Bush line seems pretty clear, too, unless it was just a desire to be part of the Inner Circle - remember the “It’s a slam dunk” comment about Iraqi WMD’s?

Tenet may well have been interested in either supporting his own predetermined conclusion, or covering his own butt, or buttressing his street cred with the boys, depending on his connection with reality at the time, Any of those might be enough reason for him to have done it.

But this is just guessing, of course, based only on who would have known the information.