hey word sleuths.

Did you work on the 3D grid in yesterday’s NYT?

I got about 35 words that I’m sure of. I’m trying to confirm a few words that I think are questionable. I don’t have a merriam-webster. Are these words. . .

note: this is
meaningless
typing
so that
the spoiler
words
don’t
show
up
in
mouse over.
they really
should
fix
that.

pasts (can you pluralize this?)

emety (I know emetic is a word. emety looked right)

leyte (I’ve seen this in Xwords before, but dict.com seems to only show it as a proper noun)

remet (met again?)

remap (map again?)

A couple nice ones. . . :wink:

oasts

llama

cadre

According to my Merriam Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary:
Yes (well, actually that one wasn’t in there, but I think it’s okay)
No
No
No
Yes (this one surprised me)

You don’t have to take my word—or Merriam’s—for it if you don’t want to.

thanks.

I’m really not sure that “pasts” is all right. “The reincarnated man has many pasts.” (???)

“remap” doesn’t surprise me. at least in cross-word puzzles, “re” is stuck on just about every verb ever heard. I’m not sure if just being a “formed” word like that counts as being a word though.

In case you didn’t see the puzzle, the puzzle master actually indicated that he went by words in the Merriam-Webster, which I why I asked about it. dictionary.com doesn’t count.

I’m into the forties (out of the stated goal of 48). I also had one of those tossed out here, and thought it perfectly acceptable :frowning: So, some more to go, I guess…

I have trouble seeing how “pasts” could have been acceptable given the diagram.

Here’s what I have so far:

[spoiler]ALLEY APSES CHORD CHILL CHOPS CHITS CHIPS CHORE CASTE CADRE CASES CASTS CACAO CHILI DACTL** DROPS HOPER HITCH LAMER LEAPS LAPSE LLAMA METER MERER OASTS OASES POACH PITCH PORER PAPER ROAST ROPER ROACH REMAP REPOP* REPET REMET SPILL STILL SPALL SPITS SPORE SEAMY STEPS STERE TITLE YESES*

*Asterisks after the ones that I am unsure of.
**Technical term, may not be acceptable

So, REMET still included although I’m not sure now. Met seems to imply a first time occurence, so REMET would be contradictory, wouldn’t it? Perhaps the same logic applies to REPOP. And no, I’m not going there :rolleyes: .
[/spoiler]

How about ASTEP? Is that a word?

Wow, toward the end I was really grasping for anything. C’mon Dopers, we’ve got the brains to get 'em all! :slight_smile: