Hiding my IP address

Is there a way so I can block my IP address? This way, people in forums, etc, won’t be able to view my IP. Thanks!

You may be able to find proxy services that ‘disguise’ your true IP address by making page requests on your behalf (therefore using their own IP address) but many forums – including this one – regard it as grounds for instant banning.

Yes, I know, I was merely using forums as an example. Does anyone know a program that can hide my IP for me?

None of the ones I’m aware of are programs – they’re services (free or paid, although most I’m aware of are paid now) from other websites. Of course, they’re not absolutely confidential, since the web proxy companies themselves keep logs of which IP addresses have been using their services.

Sorry I can’t help more but the board administrators here are understandably not happy about information – legal or otherwise – being passed on that unscrupulous others might use to contravene the board rules.

I hadn’t even thought of using it for malicious purposes, and even if someone were to, I’d imagine they’d be banned fairly quickly.

Yep. Some people have too much time on their hands to find better things to do, I suppose.

We do not permit discussions of IP spoofing here. Using such a service to access the SDMB is grounds for immediate banning. Two posts in this thread giving links to providers of such services have been deleted.

bibliophage
moderator GQ