High price for this aircraft N-number

FAA Aircraft reserved Call Sign N420W for sale marketing Colorado POT Business

And there’s a picture of a business jet with the N-number and pot leaf photoshopped on it.

How much would you pay for this unique marketing tool? The low, low price of only $100,000! (It appears he expects the buyer to also pay the $20 fee to the FAA.) That’s just for transferring the number to you. No airplane. Just a piece of paper from the FAA saying you can use that number on your aircraft.

Now, I think Nike paid a good sum for N1KE. But someone paying a hundred kilobucks for N420W? I’m not seeing it. What’s the ‘W’ supposed to stand for, anyway? The seller suggests maybe High Times could buy it. (Does Trans-High Corp even have a corporate jet?) Were I High Times and wanted to advertise my ‘Establishment cred’, I think I’d choose N420HT – which is available for a sawbuck from the FAA.

I think the seller might have been smoking something.

Who has call sign NCC-1701?

No one!

Aircraft registration in the U.S. must begin with N, and may have from one to five additional characters. The first character must be a numeral other than zero, and there are no numerals after an alpha character. The registration cannot end with more than two alpha characters, and alpha characters I and O are prohibited because they are easily confused with 1 and 0.

If an aircraft was registered before 31 December, 1948, it may have an additional alpha character after the N: C for commercial, private, or airline; G for glider; X for experimental; R for restricted; L for limited; or S for state. In actuality, the additional character is not part of the registration. NC12345 is the same as N12345. So it’s possible there might be NC1701 – but you’d have to apply it to a pre-1949 aircraft, and you’d have to purchase the N-number from the current registrant (who has it on a 1965 Cessna 172F in Minnesota).

So N1701A could be an aircraft?
It is.

and the E is owned by Enterprise Equipment LLC.

Ah, this explains it. (I should have read further. Oh, and emphasis is mine.)

As a kid in Nashville, I used to see a King Air at the state hanger with N10EC on it all the time.

My instructor told me it’s the governor’s plane. I always thought that was cool.

Disney had / has N123MM.

Controllers just said “Micky Mouse” most of the time.

Currently reserved by a guy in Florida.