
[QUOTE=msmith537]
If you don’t go to prom, it does kind of make you a “loser”
[/quote]
No it doesn’t. Probably 30% of my 7th Form class went to the Formal. The next Monday at school, it wasn’t even a major topic of conversation.
American schools must be extremely cliquey. By 7th Form, I knew most of the other guys in my year, and hung out with any of the ones I got on with pretty well. Everyone else was simply an acquaintance, and chances are I’d run into them while I was out and about on the weekends anyway.
Why? It doesn’t cost anything to sit at home and play poker*, but the amount of hassle involved with getting a tuxedo, organising a Limo or something suitable as transport, getting a date (and a lot of girls didn’t want to go because of the pressure to get an expensive dress and an equally expensive makeover), combined with the fact that, really, the formal is just a disco that everyone’s gotten dressed up for, means that there’s absolutely no social stigma whatsoever attached to non-attendance.
Yes you will. Universities have Formals every year, and Black Tie Dinners aren’t at all uncommon in the professional world if you can wrangle an invitation. Personally, I’d avoid them if possible, but it can be a good idea to “Be Seen” at some of these things, so it’s not like you’re never going to have the chance to wear a tuxedo in the company of other people in tuxedoes and ball gowns…
FWIW, I went to my 6th form Formal, my (then-)girlfriend’s 6th form Formal, and my own 7th form Formal, and had a date for each event.
I don’t think anything in my life would have changed one iota if I hadn’t been to any of them, either.
*Except for alcohol or gambling money, if that’s the way you play