Hillary went straight demographic warfare

Well, I know I’m super stoked if this turns into yet another “debate” on Obamacare.

April 14, 2015: Omar Little discovers liberal hypocrisy. World shudders in spasms of astonishment.

If Obama could win Pennsylvania and Ohio, so can Clinton barring some sort of disaster. Hopefully Hillary can boost her working-class credentials by nominating someone like Webb or Schweitzer rather than an effete and aloof “moderate hero” like Mark Warner or O’Malley.

I very much hope that 2016 is yet another debate on Obamacare – the number of uninsured is at historic lows (and still declining), the website is working, none of the doom predictions from the naysayers have come true… bring that on!

“Effete”? Really?

The makeup remark was, of course, metaphorical. Perhaps poor word choice, I’ll concede.

The warfare strategy is thus: make the campaign about the demographic groups and not about the candidate. Illustrated perfectly by this video. A venerable smorgasbord of demographic fairy tales, with the actual presidential candidate something of a side-piece. The first indication that this calculated endeavor has anything to do with Hillary Clinton isn’t until the 1:30 mark–two-thirds of the way in. Expect little interest from the left in Hillary herself; she is polarizing. Her campaign will seek to attack Republicans and unite minorities into the multicultural utopia promised by Obama. If she is short on actual policy, that’s a plus. The easiest way to unite all non-white males is not to offer specifics. Just point to the bad guys and continue to sell the fairy tale.

Grant me this: If Republican ads are striking for only presenting white males (as many have claimed), certainly the nature of this ad going so far out of its way to present every minority group imaginable in the all-smiles liberal fantasy is similarly striking.

The peculiarity of the of the SDMB is that the sardonic cynicism that intelligent, insightful people often display seems to take a hiatus whenever discussing Democratic politics. If you truly believe Hillary is a “good, caring person” and not a cold, calculated politician willing to paint whatever picture of herself that is politically expedient, then you do yourself and this board a disservice.

Call it like it is. This is warfare, Hillary-style.

She doesn’t have much in the way of that cred, true. But Horndog Bill does, and he is the Campaignerator, he never quits, he loves campaigning more than he loves strange, and that’s saying a lot!

Not born working class, not raised that way? So? I don’t much care how someone arrived at the conviction that Things Need To Be Fixed, just so long as they do something about it.

I still don’t get this. What is the proper ratio of minorities to avoid such criticism? How many white men must be present? How were these representations “demographic fairy tales”? What are “demographic fairy tales”?

Okay, we can evaluate these predictions over the coming months.

Who has claimed that Republican ads only present white males? From my memory, Republican ads make efforts to include non-white people just like Democratic ads.

Further, how is this ad “all-smiles liberal fantasy”? What are the proper ratios of minorities to avoid such criticism? Were there too many/too few of certain groups? If so, which ones? I don’t get your criticism regarding demographics at all.

I think “cold, calculated politician” is a lot closer to the mark than “good, caring person”, not that the too are necessarily at odds, but I still will be voting for Hillary (if she wins the nomination) because the alternative (based on hints and announcements so far) will be so much worse.

I’m curious if any liberal Dopers have expressed some great love and admiration for Hillary – from what I’ve seen, most of the liberal and Democratic-supporting Dopers aren’t that fond of Hillary but will vote for her to prevent a worse alternative from winning.

Name a non “cold, calculated politician” running for office, and you will be naming someone who didn’t win.

Really hating Hillary Clinton isn’t an argument, let alone a convincing one. Yes, I’m sure you see this as warfare. I’m sure lots of white men do. It doesn’t become warfare just because you really really really hate her.

It kind of undermines the candidate’s embracement of the issue as real issue, and paints herself as a talking head.

Oh and btw, I don’t hate her. I’ve met her several times. She’s not as friendly or likeable as her husband, but hey not many people are. I just don’t think she’s trustworthy as POTUS.

The liberals have been drummed out of the Democratic Party for some time – it’s a battle between the centrists and the “progressives.” Any party with a significant liberal bloc would care more about Hillary’s role in the mid-90s crime bill that devastated black civil rights, her enthusiastic support for the Patriot Act and the Iraq War, or her commitment to repealing the First Amendmentso we can re-institute laws against criticizing Hillary Clinton that the Supreme Court wisely pissed on in 2010.

All I can say is, if you think Hil’s ad was hateful and divisive, I can’t wait for your even-handed response to the Republican ads to follow. How did you like LaPierre’s comment that Obama, and then Hilary, that “eight years of one demographically symbolic president is enough” , and that Hil will bring a 'permanent darkness of deceipt and despair to America"?

I don’t disagree tbh. And I personally like most Republican politicians too including former President Bush.

The difference is that the Democrats have grown sceptical of the War on Drugs and renounced its support for Iraq while the GOP have not. Obviously lumping in campaign finance restrictions with the Iraq War is just laughable, most other liberal democracies have stronger restrictions without turning into the USSR.

Even if all of this stuff were true, she’d still be way, way better than Bush/Rubio/Cruz/Walker/etc.

“This year, you get to choose between a pious paragon of Christian virtue, or the Whore of Babylon…”

This middle aged, white, male, Republican did to. Coming off an era of slow recovery from a severe recession, partisan bickering resembling a Three Stooges marathon, and middle class populism taking a role in both party’s positions, this is a pretty damned great opening ad. Miss “cold and calculating” opened with a full on emotional broadside that likely has broad appeal to everyone who wouldn’t vote for a Hitler-Pol Pot ticket just to spite her.

I’m sensing your definition of super stoked is something like slightly better than a naked full body dousing in OC right before being tased :smiley:

Best laugh I’ve had in weeks! Thanks.

I vote whore!

What was the question again?

From what I’ve observed over the years, here’s the general right wing response to PC media demographics.

One black person: Token minority, sop to the left.

Two black people: Trying to avoid accusations of tokenism, be more obvious.

Three black people: What am I watching, BET? As a percent of the population there aren’t that many black people in the United States!

Tyrion! You’re sister’s looking for you! Quick, hide under the cat!

Well, you can’t necessarily tell if someone’s Christian by looking at them.