Hirsute men of the dope, let's talk shavers!

mr. bot has just expressed an interest in a new shaver for Christmas. Being a fem-bot myself, I have no idea which make/model to get him.

mr. bot has a short beard which he trims every 10-14 days. He grooms the area around his neck twice a week.

From past experience, I know he needs a good quality shaver that won’t slip when he’s grooming his beard. He hates it when the guard slips and gouges into his beard; and he has to ‘even’ it up until he ends up with the passe Don Johnson look.

What’s your favorite shaver? Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I’ve had a Norelco G250 for four or five years and I have no complaints. It’s got several attachments that allow for trimming longer hair, trimming shorter hair, trimming down to the skin, and trimming nose/ear hair. The rechargeable battery lasts a pretty long time, and I’ve never oiled it. I trim my beard with it about twice a week.

Braun Series 7 790cc/9595:

http://www.amazon.com/Braun-7-790cc-Pulsonic-Shaver/dp/B000Q6SU3C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1260776641&sr=8-2

It’s very expensive, but it’s top of the line. Been using it for over 2 years and it’s still as good as new. It’s just so convenient, smooth and washes itself after each use so it smells fresh everytime.

Get the Braun Series 7 790cc/9595:

http://www.amazon.com/Braun-7-790cc-Pulsonic-Shaver/dp/B000Q6SU3C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1260776641&sr=8-2

It’s very expensive, but it’s top of the line. Been using it for over 2 years, and it’s still as good as new. It’s just so smooth, convenient and washes itself after each use, so it smells fresh every time.

ETA: If that’s out of your budget, get the more reasonably priced but still excellent Braun Series 5 8995 (used it for 3 years, and liked it so much I upgraded):

http://www.amazon.com/Braun-Series-5-Mens-Shaver/dp/B000G1EQ1W/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1260776641&sr=8-9

Before these shavers I used to use the regular Gillette razors. I resisted switching to electric for quite a long time. When I finally made the switch, it took about a week to get used to it. Never going back.

I got the impression that while the OP said “shavers,” what she really wants is a “goomer.”

I bought a Norelco (the model with three heads) thirty-plus years ago, and the on-off switch crapped out in the first year. I jumpered around the switch, and it’s been working fine ever since. :smiley:

Yeah, I was wondering about that even when I posted. You’re probably right. While the shavers I recommended above do include a grooming extension, it’s not worth buying if you’re not going to use it for shaving.

Since we’re talking groomers, there’s really just one name: Wahl. Go into any barber shop or haircutting place, and look at their trimmers; 95 times out of 100, they’ll be Wahls.

The last time we had a thread like this, lots of people recommended the Wahl Peanut, which is a corded model. Cordless, I reckon you can’t go wrong as long as you get something above the bottom of the line.

I second this. Don’t try to go cheap and buy one of the lightweight $20 jobs. It’s sounds kind of counter intuitive, but you’ll want something nice and hefty. Also, I’ve found that most of the cordless don’t have the power required to trim a tough beard very well.

I double-checked with mr. bot; and he does indeed want a shaver. He bought a good groomer this summer and needs a new shaver to do his neck and for shaping around his beard.

I’m leaning towards the Braun, it looks like it would last awhile. Thanks for all the recommendations!