History questions for Australian Doers

In no way do I want to offer offense by these questions. Some months back an Australian doper posted that common belief in his country was that they had done most if not all of the fighting and dying at Gallipoli, and when I posted a cite showing that British deaths were almost twice that of Anzac’s, he was very gracious in acknowledging my correction. In all other dealings I’ve had with Australians, you’ve been similarly fair-minded, so I feel I can raise such questions with you while there are other nations with whom I could not.

The website for the Australian War Memorial states that its countries First World War dead represents the highest percentage loss of any country in that war. How widely is this bit of information distributed in Australia? Is it part of every schoolchild’s education?

Australia lost just under 60,000 lives out of a population of approximately four million, or 1.5%. That equals 3 out of every 200 people, a percentage that’s exceeded only by the extreme cases such as Russia and Poland in the Second World War, or Paraguay in the War of the Triple Alliance. However, Romanian deaths in the First World War were 335,000 out of a population of 7,830,00, or 4.28%, equaling 17 lost out of every 400 (not counting civilian deaths, against which Australia suffered much fewer). Is this ever mentioned if and when Australians claims the highest percentage of sacrifice?

On another, if somewhat emotionally related topic, will there be repeat of the 1999 vote by Australians to sever official ties with the UK and become a republic? What are its chances this next time?

And, more of a GD question I’ll admit, do you think that its chances of passing would be greater or lesser if, along with the Australians, the people of England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland were allowed to vote on Australia’s severance?