History Site... mistake?

Killing some time at work I decided to take the American History test at Digital History
I got 22 out of 34 which is okay, I guess… considering I’m not American, and aparently better than average.
The thing is though, there’s a couple of questions (#'s 1 and 18), that I’m sure are wrong… unless there’s some esoteric technicalities in American history I’m unaware of. Check it out, am I right, or was I wrong?

What’s wrong with the answers to questions 1 & 18? The civil war was in the 1860s, and Lincoln was president at that time, putting it in that time period. The question is asking for the general time frame of the Civil War, not the exact dates. Of course it didn’t last from 1860-1900.

Or is it another question you have?

As for Question #18, the time period for Lincoln’s Presidency is correct. Here’s a link for the dates: http://www.1728.com/page5.htm

As far as question #1 about the time of the Civila War, that timeframe is also correct but I’ll leave it to someone else to post a site for that. (I think even a dictionary should be sufficient).

Well, the answer to number 1 is C. The actual dates were 1861 to 1864, but I’m guessing the question is asking which range of dates encompasses the event.

The answer to 8 is D. Some history on the Federalist Papers can be found jere.

Nope, those appear correct. What do you think is wrong with those answers? Assuming the quiz is the same everytime and the questions were about when Lincoln was Prez and when the Civil war was?

#1 is right. The Civil war certainly occured between 1850 and 1900.

#2 is right, as well. Abraham Lincoln was President between 1860 and 1880.

I think you might be going wrong if you think that are all inclusive dates.

The Civil War occured between 1861 and 1865. That includes the time period 1850-1900. They’re not saying that the civil war took 50 years.

18! :smack:

Nevermind…

The Civil War started with the secession of the South in January 1861 through the surrender at Appomattox Courthouse on April 7, 1865. Lincoln was elected in 1860 and assassinated in April 1865, so the dates on the quiz are correct.

What values did you have?

Yow! Never stop for a chat while typing without checking preview before sending! I could have just typed, “Yeah, what those guys said.”

… and don’t take the time to confirm dates…

That’s a pretty good quiz. Because I got only two wrong. :slight_smile:

Even better than pretty good, cause I only got one wrong. The John Marshall one. Though I did have to go back and change an answer when I remembered Jefferson was the 3rd president, not the 2nd.

I guess that I was just thinking that the dates would be more specific. I guess saying that Richard Nixon was president between 1950 - 2000 would be a correct statement too.

These are high school level questions posed to 556 seniors at 55 leading colleges and universities and the average score was 53%? I find this hard to believe.

IANA American, never taken American history and I still managed a score of 26, 76%. :confused:

jastu
Ever see Jay Leno’s “Jaywalking” segment?
Occassionally he’ll go to college graduations and ask some fairly simple stuff.
It’s frightening to think that there are educated folks out there who think the American Revolution was fought against Germany and Adolf Hitler - that sort of thing.

I’m wondering why there weren’t 100% correct on questions 5 and 17. Some kids ain’t watching anough tv or something…

Actually, I did have a issues with a couple of the questions. None of the answers for #3 were actually correct. And for #25, the US didn’t purchase the Panama Canal; they built it. What they got during T Roosevelt’s administration was the right to build it.

28/34

Citizen of Scotland, not USA. Math student when at college, IT professional since then.

Knew some, guessed some, worked out some by eliminating wrong answers.

Shocked and horrified that only 22% could identify the Gettysburg Address (not an issue of educational standards between UK/US, more a generation thing).

33/34

The question I think is the worst was #13. It’s a fairly subjective question for a multiple choice style test.