Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on DVD

I picked this up last week, and I’ve found it to be thoroughly enjoyable. I had seen it on VHS quite a few years ago, but I didn’t appreciate it at the time.

Sure, the special effects look like something from “Dr. Who”, but I thought the series was well done otherwise.

Anyone else enjoy this?

I enjoyed it as well. It faced the standard criticisms of any book interpretation, but I thought the director’s vision matched up pretty well with my own when I read the novels. The initial confrontation will the bulldozers hooked me in for the rest of the story, the Arthur and Ford characters were strong throughout the production.

The FX are dated, but the scenes presenting the Guide itself were brilliant.

Take the time to frame by frame the Hitchhikers book sequences, lots of good stuff in the text, and with DVD you can read it :smiley:
Cheers, Bippy

The bad poetry by Paula Millstone Jennings (I think I remember that right, lost my VHS off PBS years ago) is amazingly cool and morbid. Only place I ever saw it. And I have many, many different versions of HGttG.

Can’t wait to get the DVD. In fact, I’m leaving right now to get it, see if I won’t!

I saw this years ago and don’t remember much other than that Zaphod’s head looked really fake and that the Guide got all the best lines. My favorite (actually one of my favorite jokes ever) was the entry for planet building, where the showed the schematic diagrams with all the planet layers: core, mantle, crust, meringue (optional).

Now I’m going to have to go pick up this DVD…

I have this series on VHS, are there any extras on the DVD to make it worth me shelling out for it again?

Incidentally I thought the way they used the Guide in the series (weird graphics, narration) was really effective.

Isn’t there talk of a remake of this flick, possibly featuring Jim Carrey as Zaphod Beeblebrox?

Hmm, I wonder who would play Arthur… maybe that one wormy guy from Frasier.

[drops to knees, arms outstretched to sky]

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Is this the version you’re talking about? I’m pretty sure you guys are talking about the version I remember, but I wouldn’t want to accidentally buy a different one…

kasuo: the script/cast/etc. for the new HHGTTG movie has been in production hell for quite a long time, and I think DNA’s untimely death made it even more unlikely that it ever will get made, which may or may not be a bad thing.

I was told something about the restaurant scene, but I haven’t had a chance to see it again and look for myself. At the time it was made, Sandra Dickinson, who played Trillian, was married to Peter Davison, who was the dish of the day. (And he was excellent. “May I urge you to consider something from my liver, sir?”, I laugh just thinking about it.) The story is that Sandra didn’t know about it in advance, and that she looks very surprised when she first sees him.

HHGTTG on DVD???

WOOOOOOOOOOOT!

This thread just made my day :smiley: :smiley:

Seven “always the last to know” Graylands

The TV series was not as good as the original radio series from which the books were compiled. I have all these on audio cassette and , as somebody once said , you get better pictures on the radio.