Hitler's post-death baptism?

I came across this and was intrigued. Under what circumstances would the COJCOLDS feel it advisable to give post-death baptism to Hitler and his cronies?
http://www.avenews.com/editorial/no/cw/city/cty2_990826.cfm (n/t)

The LDS practice of baptizing the dead is done for one’s ancestors. So unless an ancestor of Adolph was LDS and descided that he was to be baptized, he would not be.

Also, I believe the practice is founded on the belief that those who had not been baptized (or did not have the option while alive) are baptized by proxy, using a member of the descended family. The person, in the afterlife has the choice to accept or decline the baptism, on their own accord. The names are shown as baptized post mortem so they can keep track for other descendants so as not to baptise them over and over and over.

Although I could be a little off.

Don’t let the loveless ones sell you a world wrapped in grey.

Thanks for the info–this article indicates that people are often baptized over and over–maybe a lack of computer connections between temples?
Anyway–I just wondered why? I didn’t think Hitler had any offspring–does every single relative have to be baptized?
Salt Lake City Weekly news & opinion August 19, 1999
Amazing Grace: Anne Frank and Hitler Share LDS Baptisms
by Ben Fulton http://www.avenews.com/index_cw.html

Actually all the temples are connected by computer networks to share records. Seldomly is someone baptized more than once unless the records were improperly updated.

Like I said, as far as I know only descendants do baptizm by proxy, but maybe I am incorrect in this assumption, maybe we should have someone with experience on the subject weigh in a definate answer.

Hey, you’re all missing something here. Although Hitler’s as close as I ever want to learn about to a monster in human form, nonetheless we (at least the Christians among us) should somehow find it in our hearts to hope that a merciful God will somehow find a way to get through to him. If the Mormons can do something toward that end, more power to them!

I’m not sure I agree with that. I do understand the basic tenet of christianity is to love thy brother and wish him no ill will. But I don’t see how we should embrace him and say “all is forgiven”.

If a christian can say “someone who doesn’t believe in my church will burn in hell” how can they say “someone who does believe but goes against all principles and tenets will go to heaven, including mass murderers”?

Seems like a blaring conflict to me.

Okay, a couple of inaccuracies here:

1. You don’t have to be a descendent of the person(s) you are representing (by proxy) in baptism for the dead. I’ve done them before as a teenager, and I wasn’t related to anyone I was a proxy for. However, genealogy work in one’s own ancestry is greatly encouraged, and when you’ve found unbaptized names in your own line, you are encouraged (if you’re temple-worthy) to get the temple work done for them yourself.

2. Jesus Christ has a perfect love for ALL mankind, including history’s monsters like Hitler. The LDS church teaches that murder is unforgivable but pardonable, so my guess would be that Hitler will, if he repents and pays for all the evil he caused, at last be saved in a lesser kingdom. This is my understanding, however, and not necessarily LDS doctrine. Hitler is paying for ALL the evils he did while alive. He will probably not be released from hell unless he repents with full purpose of heart and accepts Jesus as his Savior, in addition to paying for his sins. I wouldn’t want to be him [shudder!].

I wrote:

Make that definitely, not “probably.” And lest someone think that he will ultimately “get away with it,” let me explain. There are three degrees of glory in heaven, according to LDS belief. Hitler will, if he repents, probably go to the lowest of the three heavens, the telestial kingdom, as murder is unforgivable. (It’s up to God to judge him, though, not me). He will also probably go through 1000 years of hell, in which he will suffer for every atrocity, every murder, every evil he committed, in full. He’s not getting away with anything, IMHO.

Is there any way to indicate that you DO NOT wish to be baptized after your death? I mean, it’s sort of nasty to proselytize someone all their life, and then ignore their wishes not to become a Mormon by baptizing them anyway.

Not to open a can of worms, Snark, but as a longtime Salt Lake City resident I’ve seen the question of exemption from proxy baptisms come up repeatedly.

Matt, the answer is, for all intents and purposes, “No.”

Officially, one can request that one or one’s family not be baptized after death, but it often doesn’t hold water. Snarkberry, maybe you can refresh my menory? I seem to recall Anne Frank being baptized several times after large groups of Jews asked the Church not to allow it.

-andros-

matt_mcl wrote:

Frankly, I don’t know. I know that when my best friend (an atheist) committed suicide, I asked his family if I could have his name submitted for baptism for the dead, but his family said “No.” So the church has to abide by that decision. I would say that your safest bet to avoid having your name even submitted is to have your surviving family object to it. Of course, this would, IMHO, tend to frustrate God’s plans for you in the afterlife, or at least delay them, but it’s you and your family’s choice. No one has to accept a baptism automatically, whether alive or dead. You aren’t forced to enter the kingdom of God if you don’t want to.

And one note: baptism for the dead by proxy does NOT automatically make the dead person a Mormon. It simply means they are enabled to make the choice in the afterlife whether they want to accept or reject the baptism. The LDS believe that the only way to get into the kingdom of God is through baptism (see John 3:3-5), so baptism and other temple work for the dead is considered a very important work.

Andros: I don’t know much about the Anne Frank issue–in fact, I wasn’t aware that Jews even objected to baptism for dead Jews until I read it on this board. I’m largely ignorant of temple practices, as I’m not a temple-worthy Latter-day Saint, so I can’t really comment beyond what I’ve said here.

You can find the answer on Anne Frank in the link.
Thanks for all the info.

Anytime, SJ. :slight_smile: