HIV/AIDS and Cancer

Hey, where did the OP go?
How much money is spent per person infected with HIV/AIDS and how much money is spent per person with cancer? How many people die each year of HIV/AIDS and how many die of cancer?

Hey, where did the OP go?
How much money is spent per person infected with HIV/AIDS and how much money is spent per person with cancer? How many people die each year of HIV/AIDS and how many die of cancer?

Those are very complex questions and you may have to be a little more specific about your criteria.

There are many, many different types of cancer. For cancer statistics broken down by types and sites, have a look at the American Cancer Society’s Statistics. Like any other disease, the mortality rate depends on the extent of disease, the overall health of the individual, available treatments, and the type of cancer.

Like cancer, mortality from HIV/AIDS depends on similar factors. The NCHS has some data. There may be additional data available from MEDline.

It’s possible to get a mortality estimate for these two diseases but you would have to specify what you’re counting as a cancer death and what you would consider as an AIDS death. All causes? Primary cause of death? Contributing cause of death? How would you count a death from a treatment’s toxicity?

The costs are similarly difficult to calculate. There are lots of treatments for both and they depend on the factors listed above. For example, a lumpectomy for a small breast tumor has a different cost than treating acute leukemia with a stem cell transplant. HMOs may charge differently than say, Blue Cross. Do you want to know the amount of out-of-pocket expenses a patient must bear? Or the total cost assumed by the patient and insurance? You may have to give us a little bit more information about your hypothetical patients. Even so, hospital charges aren’t particularly uniform across the US. Another consideration is that hospitals don’t often make cost/billing data publicly available.

Sorry that I can’t be more informative. On the other hand, what would you do if I said “Oh, I’d say $90K for cancer each year, $50K for AIDS. 587134 people died from cancer and 16144 died from AIDS.” I’m not sure whether statements like that are useful. [I totally made up those numbers by the way.]