Hoarders: new TV show

I saw that show and I didn’t realize it was the first episode! It was gripping. Yes, the food hoarder was almost unbelievable. I’ve seen some dirty houses in my time, but that one took the cake. Imagining her eating all those furry yogurts in her downstairs fridge made me want to hurl. I felt so sorry for the organizing guy when she pulled out the crisper drawer full of liquefied rotted veggies. He looked like he was going to throw up right there.

I tend to allow clutter to build up, but I can do a great job of cleaning when it comes time. I have a pretty high tolerance for paper accumulation (and a low tolerance for regular cleaning), but I don’t mind getting rid of stuff. I’ve made many trips to thrift stores to donate household items and old VHS movies. I sold my home a couple of years ago and really had to unload stuff to prepare it for showing. It took two months for it to sell and in that time I kept it so clean and clutter free it was ready to show with about 5 minutes notice. It was like living in a show home. I loved it! But I really missed all my books…

I have a hoarding problem, though it doesn’t really manifest itself in massive accumulations of things. I tend to keep useless, stupid little doodads out of a bizarre sense of affection or emotional connection; I admit to having sympathy – empathy, even – for inanimate objects. I find it literally painful (and yes, I mean literally literally!) to throw things away; even a bag of garbage, which I do end up throwing down the trash chute, gives me a pang of guilt and even sorrow. If it’s something I can even remotely anthropromorphize or feel some affection for, I can’t help thinking: there but for the grace of God go I. Why am I better than the garbage? I have no doubt this sounds pathetic.

An example: the other day I walked into my floor’s trash room to toss some bottles into the recycling bin and saw a pair of white pillows that someone had placed there. I wanted to cry. To me they were ‘cute’ in some way and even helpless. I had an impulse to “save them.” I didn’t; I have enough of a rational side to tell myself, “you’re being irrational, they are just pillows, and they probably have some kind of stain or some other ickiness that someone else didn’t want.” And yet even now remembering them? I feel teary. Swear to God. It’s ridiculous.

It makes things very difficult for me, as you can imagine. Simple things liike throwing out trash become tiny exercises in mourning. I do it, which makes me a step above some of the hoarders I guess: I win these battles more than I lose them. But it is a hard way to live, and it does take me longer than I should to get rid of things.

So in short, I have a lot of sympathy for these folks.

choie - It sounds sort of like when I go to the pound. For me, every animal that is there is tragic. How could anyone so disappoint the pet that only loves them and wants only to be loved. For me, they all have the cpacity to love, so they’re all worthy of saving. Fortunately I don’t have that problem with inanimate objects.

I was the daughter of an antique dealer. We never knew from one day to the next if our kitchen table, our toys (those antique toys we were allowed to play with), or even our beds would be there when we got back from school. For me, it’s taught me that stuff is just stuff and it all can be replaced. Most of my siblings are the same way. Even the hoarder has more of a problem because she wants to acquire stuff than because she can’t let it go.

StG

This show made me gather up and toss out two bags of garbage after watching it - and my house isn’t that bad! Mostly it’s just various “old stuff” stored away somewhere, unused.

I have a sister-in-law who was/is a minor hoarder. (I’ve told this story here before, if it’s familiar.) She used to live above my husband (her brother) and I in the split-level house we rent, until she was evicted for not paying rent. She loved “bargain” shopping, outlet stores, and garage sales. If we were going to throw something out/leave it on the curb for some passer-by to grab, she’d say she could use that/give it to someone she knows. So among other things we gave her our old futon for her to use or to give to her daughter when she went away to college. We gave her an artificial Christmas tree for her friend. None of those items was actually passed on, though. She collected empty boxes and packing materials for a home business she was working on.

She kept old toys from her daughter when she was in early grade school age, and clothes from then too (when they were evicted, her daughter was 16 or 17); this stuff packed our enclosed back porch and by the time I cleaned it out because she’d abandoned the stuff, most of it was damaged by weather effects, mold, etc.

One weekend she actually tried to have a garage sale at our house. I didn’t go out there to check things out, but it was a big selection - lots of women’s clothing especially, and she worked in sales for women’s clothing and always had good taste in clothes so I figured her stock and sales technique should be decent. That plus children’s items should have been big sellers in our area. Her parents also gave her some stuff to sell. The stock, as she was preparing for it, took up both slots in our shared two-car garage. After the sale was over, most of it ended right back in there, and it was weeks before we could nag her into at least moving the items out of our half so we could park in there again. I know she attended lots of garage sales so she should know good “marketing” techniques, but I didn’t see any signs up, unlike for other area sales. I wondered if she really didn’t want to let the stuff go.

She was evicted (well technically, her lease was not renewed - they’d started eviction proceedings and she paid them back the rent plus court costs or whatever else, but a month later the year’s lease was up anyway) in April, and several months later, the landlords had found a renter and were cleaning up, painting, etc. when they discovered her half of the garage was still packed full. We’d been nagging her about that, the back porch (which I finally dealt with), and the basement. She did manage to clean out the garage but I suspect more legal proceedings were threatened.

The futon and Christmas tree are still in the basement. So is a set of china; I have no idea of the financial or sentimental worth. So are all those boxes from the home business that never took off, and the packing materials too. Plus lots of old clothes, old toys, and a whole lot of actual trash. For our house, any extra garbage cans beyond one can had required the purchase of a “garbage sticker”, which I think cost $6 each. A lot of bulky (non-spoilable, thankfully) trash items went down in the basement to be hidden amongst other items; I don’t know if she thought they might be of use or if she was avoiding having to pay to throw it out.

It’s been a couple years since she’s lived here, and any time we make noises about throwing stuff out in the basement, she pleads for us to not do it, saying how valuable some of it is. She makes excuses about how she can’t do it until (date in future) but swears she will have it done over that time. Last time it was work calling her in. One time she insisted she absolutely must have access to our apartment - I asked why she would want to take stuff up a skinny, rickety wooden staircase with a low ceiling and a corner in it, and through a narrow room and 4 doors, when she could enter the storm cellar entry from outside the house, up a broad cement staircase and only two doors. She didn’t have a good reason. (Considering that she’s taken cases of microbrewed beer without asking or replacing it and let her boyfriend borrow our car while we were away - even she didn’t have permission to do it, but she went into our apartment and grabbed the keys off the desk - we don’t trust her there if we’re not around.)

We’ve been gradually taking bits out with our own garbage. We’re a tad miffed that we’re having to deal with this, but she won’t. She put so much stuff down there that I wasn’t able to see that water had seeped into the basement during a storm - previously we’d seen it to be practically impervious to leaks in storms - and ruined a box of books I had stored there. Every now and then I flip out and say “we should hire someone to just take it all” but then the cost comes to mind, and there’s nothing down there that’s actually dangerous. So bit by bit, it goes to the garbage, or anything that’s still good goes to a charity. (I found a never-worn pair of women’s white sneakers, still in the box, amongst a pile of used packing materials and empty boxes.) Occasionally we mention it and she goes into overdrive with excuses about why she can’t do anything about it now but she will on X date, but she needs access from in the house or she can only do it if she can get her college-age daughter to help and the girl is so disrespectful or or or… :smack:

More on-topic - I was kind of disturbed that we didn’t see anything about the family getting counseling, but the editing might have cherry-picked the dad and boy’s most anxious moments for broadcast. The boy’s comment about when he has kids someday definitely registered to me as something he’d heard, probably endlessly, from his parents’ own rationalizations for keeping every item they have: “for the grandchildren”, “when we finally finish _____”, etc.

The older woman disturbed me. She obviously is so accustomed to the smell of rot, sight of flies, etc., that it doesn’t even register to her any longer. She insisted there was no rotting food in that first room, only in the kitchen, and yet they found at least two or three items (pumpkin, squash, maybe lettuce?) before even leaving the room. At least when I would have clutter around I knew what’s under the pile!

And they were right, her justifications about food were so far removed from reality. I know the “what’s going to happen with old sour cream?” thing is an old joke, but it’s not true - there are beneficial bacteria used to sour it, and if you leave it too long, harmful microorganisms will come in.

That older woman was so sad. When the people helping her came out of there gagging, talking about how she was going to keep something that had been in that nasty vegetable bin. There is no way she never got sick, like she claimed. Her son had to grow up with that? Or has she just recently become that way?

I felt sorry for that little boy, too. Watching his beloved playhouse get sledge-hammered is gonna stick in his mind. The show talked about the parents getting counseling - did the kids get counseling, too?

I was prompted to do some major cleaning as soon as the show was done!

It is incredibly interesting how so much of their seemingly crazy behavior was at least vaguely familiar, in myself or people I know. My grandmother had a fridge full of expired food, but she’d only get rid of one thing here and there every few months. And she, too, claimed to have a cast iron stomach. (Though she never said something was ‘too pretty to eat,’ which is, I believe, what the featured woman said about the eggs her sister had given her a year before for her birthday! But even that was interesting insight into some people with eating disorders.) I’ve definitely had trouble ‘parting’ with useless crap. I definitely understood why the father took his fish tanks back when he found out they were going in the garbage – IMHO it’s much easier to get rid of things you think are ‘going to a good home.’

The little boy was definitely already picking up on his dad’s behavior. ‘I used to play with that when I was little’? How many little kids are already nostalgic for the past? You just know he’d heard his father say that before.

I hope they do follow-ups.

She felt gultiest about the encroachment of clutter in the children’s room.

One of the people on tonight’s episode is a regular customer at the restaurant I work at.

I’m going to watch it out of curiosity, but I have a feeling i’m going to learn things about him i’d rather not have known.

I’m thinking you might end up sterilizing the money he hands over. :eek:

Oh God, yes, that’s very similar. I can’t kill bugs (not a good combo if you have issues with sometimes delaying throwing out garbage!), so the idea of going to a pound or animal shelter would be terrifying. I’d want to adopt every animal, probably resulting in hoarding animals territory.

Yes, I think you’ve developed a useful callus there. My father was that way, whereas my mom (who collected books and antiques too) was very similar to me. I think hoarding may also have relationship with abandonment issues. Saying goodbye is very very hard for me, and combining that with my freakish empathy for inanimate objects you get hoarding.

I think there’s a big hoarding & depression crossover too. Depression can make you paralyzed and overwhelmed, so things pile up and soon you don’t want or feel able to do anything about it. Though now that I think of it, all of this is probably more of a cluttering issue, which is related but not identical.

Does the show distinguish between the two (hoarding & cluttering)?

Saw this for the first time tonight - I have been fascinated by this disorder since I first read about it here some time ago. I think it fascinates me because I have known at least two families who are this way, and I thought they were just terribly messy. It never occurred to me that there was a real disorder attached to it.

The disability guy was quasi-normal, I guess. He seemed very aware of his problem, and didn’t seem to be overly attached to any of the stuff - he just recognized that his desire for perfection was preventing him from doing anything. I also loved the counselor (?) who worked with him.

The divorced mom, on the other hand…she was bringing the crazy. I felt so bad for her kids. I really, really hope they push her into counseling. When she was throwing things into the garbage truck, that was just creepy. And I was not impressed with the counselor she had, who seemed almost to just be hanging around. I understand that the trauma of dealing with a big clean-up like that is a big deal, but not pushing the mom at all seemed strange to me.

At the end, they said the mom had just given up and “moved out”. So, now the family can get in there and just clean everything out with shovels, right? I’m sure that’s not the healthiest way to help the mom, but at some point, isn’t her disorder destroying their lives as well? Shouldn’t they have the right to deal with it?

Seriously? He’s what…eight? Nine? How many things stick out in your mind from when you were that age? I’m guessing at one point you threw a grand fit because your parents threw out a beloved toy, or didn’t get you a new puppy, or said no dessert. Did that affect you a day, week, or month later? I’m guessing no.

What I found most interesting about this show was the attitudes of the two women vs. the man (I think I watched the first episode, it had the kid crying over the playhouse, which was sad in all sorts of ways) The two women seemed to have the attitude that other people were bugged by the hoarding, but THEY were the ones with the problem. These things are perfectly good/useful/fine after I fix them. The man seemed more confused about how it got to this point, where all his pretty things were not giving him the joy he expected. It appeared he thought they had value, but having too much stuff was dragging him down. When he started cleaning up he was so pleased. Seeing him have a dinner party for his friends…I felt so proud for the guy! (Yes I have hoarders in my family so I was OVERLY pleased for him)

Too, I think it was interesting that the younger woman’s personal organizer/friend came in and made this sour face, and kept talking about how it was “worse than I thought” but the man’s personal organizer was really upbeat and positive and praised him for what he was doing.

Her best line: (super positive voice) “Do you notice, like, an odor in here?” :smiley:

The text said the sale is in limbo - among other things, they were denied on the loan to fix the place up for sale - so I suspect the house stayed cluttered as of when the show was put together, but it’s hard to tell.

I guess the pile of junk isn’t really affecting anyone directly at this point except the ex-husband and ex-wife. The kids are all grown up and out of the house, the woman is finally out of that pile of stuff (and probably starting another one elsewhere). The parents can’t get the money from the sale of the house, so that’s the major issue.

Without major counseling - which I hope she gets - I suspect the shovels-and-dumpsters solution would cause the woman a mental breakdown or total family estrangement. However, I would also completely sympathize with the family if they chose that option. Her problem put her kids through so much stress and humiliation in their lives, and now it’s holding up the divorce settlement.

No, I don’t remember pitching a fit for something that was thrown out.

I do remember losing my beloved turtle (who lived outside) at age 4. I remember our dog getting run over by a car at age 5. I remember flying alone (with my brother) to my grandmother’s house when we were 7 or 8.

So, yes, if something is a big deal it will stick out in his memory forever. With a bit of counseling, he may come to understand the reasoning behind getting rid of the stuff, that will carry over to his adult life.

I just realized I didn’t comment on last night’s show. Why does only one of the people get an actual psychologist?

I feel confident that the man with all the trash is going to keep it much cleaner. He was very proud for his friend to come visit!

I’m sure about Mom, too. She will not get the help she needs, and will fill up any space that is around her. Sad case.

I’m surprised we haven’t seen a roach infestation yet. That’s gonna squick me out completely. The flies didn’t quite do it, and I’m so glad they didn’t show any maggots at Pumpkin Lady’s house.

Regarding the kid with the playhouse, I think it’s hard to say what will stick with kids when they’re older. I’ve certainly had the experience of sharing some hugely meaningful anecdote from my childhood, only to have my mother say, “Really? I don’t even remember that.” That being said, I think that likely the mother wouldn’t have said it was OK to throw the thing away if it wasn’t in disrepair and probably not being played with very often. I thought she handled the aftermath well, too, and the only thing I’d say she could have done differently would have been to give some warning. (This is for the kids, only; I think she was smart to get the attic done while her husband was out, because he clearly was digging in his heels hard and not letting them throw away his old junk and trash stored around the place.)

My son used to hang out with a kid from school, and we would occasionally have him come over and hang out. Whenever I picked said friend up, he would always come out of the house before my car had even come to a stop. When I dropped my son off, the mom would be coincidentally doing yardwork or something outside. I never really thought about it until several weeks went by and I realized something was a little off. My son was 13 and told me the house was ‘a little messy.’

One day we stopped by unexpectedly and my son’s friend opened the door. Holy crap. There was room to swing the door in a neat little half-circle, and then beyond the swing of the door stuff was piled three feet high. Newspapers, clothing, pop bottles, fast food debris and toys, video games and boxes, books, magazines, cardboard boxes, bills and random papers, and either dog or cat fur everywhere. Wow.

The mom was pretty upset at her son for opening the door to us and was visibly angry and frustrated. We just handed over what we had come to drop off and took off. I asked my son if it was always like that and he said yes. There were paths through the debris to what I’m assuming was the kitchen on the left, bedrooms on the right, and towards the sofa. Other than my niece’s house, I’ve never seen anything like it with the exception of Hoarders.

Leave it to a 13 year old boy to not say anything to me. I guess as long as he had a place to sit, it was no big deal to my son. Sheesh.

My cousin is like this (note: NOT a hoarder). She is an artist/writer and for several years as a teenager and well into her 20s was a puppeteer. She also has a damn near photographic memory.

All of it is related to the fact that she projects human attributes (character and emotion) to inanimate things. For example, as kids we found a broken blue marble in a playground and it was cool to look through it because it was all blue-swirly. But when we were done playing with it, she said she felt bad for leaving it behind, as if we were “abandoning a playmate”. As you can imagine, this ability to empathize with inanimate objects made her an amazing storyteller/puppeteer! She could bring a shoe to life with a distinct personality and crack up kids and adults alike.

She once told me this was also why her memory was freaky exceptional. Since all things had their own “characters” she would remember all the “stories” brought about by the relationships between all the objects. For example, she may remember the exact layout of the kitchen table: the pepper shaker is off to one side and the salt shaker is next to the sugar bowl. She’ll remember it because she sees a quick story about a king (pepper) searching for the missing queen (salt) who has been kidnapped by the fat hunchback giant (sugar). Okay that’s over-simplifying, but that’s how it sort of works. She even knows what their voices are like and their personalities (eg/ king pepper is a jerk and queen salt actually wants to be with the hunchback sugar bowl.)

As I said, she’s not a hoarder, but she has admitted that it makes her sad to get rid of things because she empathizes with the object as if she was getting rid of a person she knows.

Ever see the Ikea commercial with the old desk lamp that gets replaced and gets dumped on the curb in the rain? The creepy Ikea guy then comes up to the camera and says “You’re feeling sorry for the lamp? That’s crazy! It doesn’t have any feelings!” That was like a family joke to us.