I’ve recently re-read “The Hobbit” (it’s one of my favorite books).
Every once in a while I came to a word that I did not know the meaning.
Here is my list of words from “The Hobbit” that I did not know:
- Dull; commonplace - arousing no interest, attention, curiosity or excitement.
- A dark beer resembling light stout, made from malt browned or charred by drying at a high temperature.
- Appears to be a word unique to “The Hobbit”. It’s context would suggest it is synonymous with “Bewildered”.
- To pulsate with unusual rapidity from exertion, emotion, disease, etc.; flutter: His heart palpitated wildly.
- Confused; Perplexed
- Type of fern or an area overgrown with ferns and shrubs.
- The nest of a bird, such as an eagle, built on a cliff or other high place.
- A very small amount.
- A type of spider or a peevish, ill-natured person.
- A fool or a dunce.
- Someone who moves slowly; a “slowpoke”
- A person who has charge of the keys of a prison; jailer.
- State or character of being solemn; earnestness; gravity; impressiveness: the solemnity of a state funeral.
- A digging tool with a flat blade set at right angles to the handle that can also be used as a weapon.