Hockey Monkey's Christmas Cookie Extravaganza!

Want to share what I’ve been up to during the pre-Christmas holiday. I love baking cookies to share with my friends, family, co-workers…and anyone who wants a cookie during the Holidays. The following recipes are mostly family traditions, but I’ve tried a couple new cookies this year, just so things don’t get stale. :slight_smile:

If you try any of them please let me know how you liked them. And do post you’re own heirloom cookie recipes. I’m going to bookmark this thread for reference in coming years.

M&M Cookies (traditional must have for my family)

1 cup shortening
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 bag M&M’s (was 16 oz bag when this recipe was made, now a 14 oz bag)

Cream together sugars and shortening. Beat in vanilla and eggs. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt, then gradually add to the sugar mixture, mixing well. Stir in 1/2 cup M&M’s. I pick out all the brown ones then add more to make 1/2 - 3/4 cup. I save all the colorful ones for the tops. Of course, use the Holiday M&M’s if you wish. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Arrange reserved M&M’s on top of unbaked cookies. I usually put 4 on top. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool for a couple minutes on cookie sheets then remove to wire rack.
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (traditional)
1 1/4 cups softened butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup raisins
3 cups old fashioned oats (uncooked)

Oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter and sugars together till fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add to the creamed sugar mixture gradually until incorporated. Stir in oats and raisins. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes. Cool for a couple minutes on cookie sheet then remove to wire rack.
Nestle Toll House Cookies (From the bag)
in order to not violate any copyrights, buy your own bag
I made them with dark chocolate chips this year. Yummy!
Snowball Cookies (new recipe for me)
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups flour
10 oz bag of white chocolate chips
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
Powdered sugar

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla and salt until creamy. Gradually beat in flour. Stir in white chocolate chips and nuts. Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes. While the cookies are hot and still on the cookie sheets, sift powdered sugar over them. Cool on the cookie sheets for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack.
Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies (a new recipe for me)
3/4 cup shortening
1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats, uncooked
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaseoon salt
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease baking sheets with shortening. Combine Shortening, sugar, egg, milk and vanilla in a large bowl, beating until well blended. Combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt and mix into creamed mixture just until well blended. Stir in coconut and chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart onto cookie sheet. Bake 9-11 minutes, cool on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes before moving to a wire rack.

I’m also going to make a Heath cookie this year, but haven’t given them a taste test yet. I’ll post the recipe if I deem them worthy.

Enjoy your Holidays everyone!

Oh, those sound good! I love chocolate, so anything with the food of the gods in it would be appreciated. I like to bake simple iced sugar cookies, cut in all the Christmas shapes.

The oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips and coconut sound AMAZING. I’ve printed out that recipe to try this week.

I like oatmeal-raisin, but I absolutely love oatmeal cookies with white chocolate chips and dried cranberries and/or dried blueberries.

Also baked today were a batch of sausage balls and in the oven right now are Ricotta Cookies. I’ve posted both of those recipes before.

I sent my boyfriend home with cookies, I made a box of cookies for work, I made boxes of cookies for friends, I made a box of cookies to take to my Mom’s. I still have a shitload of cookies to give away. I’m gonna take some down to the convenience store that I frequent in a little while.

This year I’m planning on doing the classics on Christmas eve - sugar cookies and Hershey Kiss cookies.

Today though I did a new recipe - Blissful Cranberry Cookies. I had one tonight when I was baking, and they are very good. But we’ll see how my co-workers react when I bring them in tomorrow!

I love to bake and I bring cookies or some form of baked good to work every Monday. Even the first Monday after I moved, I brought them in to my new office.

My cookie list to make is long, so happily I think I’ll never run out of inspiration!

Can we throw in candy recipes too? My family has never made Christmas cookies, but we do yummy yummy candy.

We always give some to teachers and friends. We gave some to our taijitsu sensei on Friday and he was thrilled - and he recognized the buckeyes. No one ever does, but everybody loves them.

Oh yes, please post your candy recipes too!

Bumped with mod permission, rather than opening a new thread to collect cookie and candy recipes in.

This year I’ve made Pistachio Bites, which were pretty easy and have a little wow factor. I’m going to do a Cookie Exchange this year rather than spend a ton of money on ingredients for 6 or 7 different recipes. I haven’t decided if I want to make more Pistachio Bites or go with the Ricotta Cookies that were my stand out hit last year.

Pistachio Bites

1 cup softened unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pistachios (Whole Foods has them already unshelled in the bulk aisle)

6 ounces vanilla flavored candy coating, chopped
1 teaspoon shortening
1/2 cup coarsely chopped unshelled pistachios

Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl. Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour, almond extract and vanilla. Beat until well mixed and a dough forms. Stir in 1/2 cup pistachios.

Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a 10 inch log. Wrap and refrigerate overnight. The logs will be skinny…these cookies are small bites. If you’ve ever seen Alton Brown’s show on compound butter, he shows you how to make a log roll the easy way. I highly recommend the method.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut one log at a time keeping the other refrigerated. Cut into 1/4 inch slices and place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on pan for 1 minute, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Place candy coating and shortening in a small microwave safe bowl and heat for 1 minute on high. Stir and continue microwaving, stirring ever 15 seconds until melted and smooth.

Place a sheet of wax paper on a flat surface. Dip each cookie halfway into the warm coating. Shake off excess and place on waxed paper. Immediately sprinkle with a few chopped pistachios.

Ricotta Cookies

1 cup butter softened
2 cups sugar
1 15-ounce container ricotta cheese
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Red and green sprinkles (I usually skip these).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease large cookie sheets.

In a large bowl cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add ricotta vanilla and eggs and beat until combined. Add flour baking powder and salt and beat until dough forms.

Using two tablespoons drop dough onto cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 15 minutes or until cookies begin to turn golden. Remove cookies to wire rack to cool.

In small bowl stir confectioners sugar milk and lemon juice until smooth. With a small metal spatula or knife spread icing on cookies and top with sprinkles. Set aside to allow icing to dry and harden.