Hold the Mayo...

Uke, I think you’re gonna have to read the label. Even their website doesn’t list the ingredients.

Dopeler effect:
The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Hellman’s is OK, but Duke’s is the best. (It seems to be primarily a Southern thing.)

What is Miracle Whip? Well, it calls itself ‘salad dressing,’ which means that it somehow falls short of the USDA definition of mayo. IIRC, it’s missing egg yolks or some such.

I prefer the tangy zip…of you know what.

Damn! I was hoping this thread was about hugging me. Oh well.

Miracle Whip, to steal a phrase from my dear ol’ Da, is enough to gag a maggot off a shitwagon.

Mayo for me, please. Hellman’s is preferred, but Kraft will do.

“I love God! He’s so deliciously evil!” - Stewie Griffin, Family Guy

I’m a mayo person too.

DSYoungEsq wrote <<< Best Foods, if you are west of the Mississippi, Hellman’s if you are east of it (it’s the same stuff, different name). >>>

Of course it’s the same. I’ve been reading that note on the side of the jar since I was a kid. You’d think that by now they’d merge the two. I wonder why they don’t.

Nabisco Shredded Wheat is now made by Post, and BOTH logos appear on the box. That way Post gets the bucks, and the customer is educated to know that this Post stuff is “real” shredded wheat, not just a knock-off. So I wonder why they don’t do that with Hellmann’s and Best Foods?

Miracle Whip has a WEBSITE?

All right, all right, I’ll go read a jar. I’m assuming that Miracle Whip is basically mayo without the eggs.

www.kraftfoods.com

Dopeler effect:
The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Miracle Whip is too sweet for my taste. It is like a thousand island dressing without the peachy look to it. ICK…just not my style.

Gimme good old-fashioned mayo anytime.

opinion - a belief held often without positive knowledge or proof.

oppress - to burden harshly, unjustly, or tyrannically.

don’t oppress my ability to have an opinion

Miracle Whip is an abomination. It tastes like something concocted out of Dr. Frankenstein’s laboratory.

And try making your own mayonnaise some time! You won’t regret it.

J’ai assez vécu pour voir que différence engendre haine.
Stendhal

I’m definitely of the “home made mayonaise” school. Especially since it’s so easy to make, provided you have a mixer or a blender. It’s simply egg yolks, dry mustard, oil (I like a blend of olive oil and whatever vegetable oil I have on hand), salt, and pepper. (Lemon juice and/or vinegar is optional.) Any decent cookbook can give you a recipe.

AFAIK, Miracle Whip is one of those things which cries out to heaven as an abomination, like Wonder Bread.

Count me in with the mayo camp.

Then, there’s this, from John Hobson:

Now, now, let us not be too hasty to condemn Wonder Bread. For without it, there would be a void at Arthur Bryant’s Barbecue. And we must always strive to avoid anything of that sort.

Waste
Flick Lives!

Whichever’s on sale. I’m easy. And not wealthy. Sometimes I actually buy the store brand!!!

(Doesn’t this really belong on MPSIMS?)

Those who do not learn from the past are condemned to relive it. Georges Santayana

Yep, the lable says west of the ‘rockies’ but I do recall buying it in Denver when I lived there. Actually, I recall being able to buy BOTH brands in Denver, side-by-side on the shelf. Reminded me of learning that MaryEllen and Smuckers are the same jam, made in the same plants from the same fruit. :wink:

(and let’s not forget Edy’s and Dryer’s…)

GLWasteful said
Then, there’s this, from John Hobson:

AFAIK, Miracle Whip is one of those things which cries out to heaven as an abomination, like Wonder Bread.

Now, now, let us not be too hasty to condemn Wonder Bread. For without it, there would be a void at Arthur Bryant’s Barbecue. And we must always strive to avoid anything of that sort.
ENDQUOTE

You are absolutely right. I had forgotten about Arthur Bryant – the best reason for going to Kansas City ever devised.

I thought my mom was the only one. Blech!

Rich

My mother also eats mayo sandwiches. I think the sandwich dates back to the Depression, when people just couldn’t afford to put anything else between the slices.

Those who do not learn from the past are condemned to relive it. Georges Santayana

My husband swears his mother made peanut butter and mayo sandwiches when they were out of jam and couldn’t afford to buy more. Yick.

I usually prefer Hellman’s, but Miracle Whip is not bad on bacon sandwiches. The sweetness cuts the salt a bit. Homemade mayonnaise with good olive oil is the best thing for aioli (garlic mayonnaise as a dip for veggies and bread.)

Mayo. No question.

Does anyone actually use Miracle Whip as “salad dressing” as its described on the label?

Well, almost 40 posts in not quite a day, many of them being really combative about their condiment of choice, makes this a Great Debate to me…

Yer pal,
Satan