Holocaust survivor sets nurse on fire.

Per Israeli media according to the BBC.

Did you happen to leave out a detail that is much more pertinent to the conversation than the fact that she was a Holocaust survivor?
She was mentally ill.

Link says that he is “in his 70s.” At the maximum of 79, he was only 7 years old at the end of the war. Younger than 79 and of course he was even younger when the war ended. So I fail to see how it is very relevant to his situation.

You don’t think early childhood trauma approximately 600,000 times worse than regular life problems cannot lead to mental problems down the line?

Sure most people who suffer from extreme trauma turn out fine. Some don’t.

I don’t think that–unless he was at the very top of the age range–he’d remember much of anything about it at all. I at least have only the most fleeting, vague memories of my early childhood.

A large percentage of people in their 70’s have dementia. That seems the more pertinent issue.

The trauma inflicted in the ghettos, in the camps, as displaced persons after, with having entire families wiped out, persists. My parents were relatively young when things went bad in Poland. Both were in camps, but the real trauma for them was as younger kids in the ghettos watching family die from disease and starvation. My mother burying her father and brothers who starved to death in the ghetto. Wandering Europe trying find any family, afterwards.

I watched my mother at 85, with severe shingles, screaming in pain for her mother, who she lost when she was a teen, in Auchwitz. Now elderly, the trauma of childhood are the memories that resurface over and over again.

These people remember.

We once had to call EMTs for my father, who had moderate dementia, and when they came in he became hysterical that they were Nazis. In his fear, illness, and confusion, he was right back there again. This was man who rarely showed much emotion, in full panic.

This trauma comes back over and over again, even from childhood.

I wonder if studies have been done on the mental health of survivors of the Holocaust; or Pol Pot, or Rwanda, not like there is a shortage of genocide survivors. :frowning:

Many studies. It was some of the first real modern research into what we now call PTSD.

Plus there are multiple well-documented studies about how these traumas are passed to the next generation through epigentic changes and secondary PTSD. You can look up recent articles about how trauma in Holocaust sirvivors is seen in the DNA of their children, born long after the war ended.

My dad was treated with a handful of Valium. It took years for them to figure out what to do, especially after Vietnam vets came home with their own traumas.

Pretty sure PTSD research began after WW1, and the pandemic of " shell shock", but thanks for the link.

Yes, that’s why I said “modern research”. A lot of what was learned in WWI was poorly understood and forgotten by WWII. The way we understand it now can be traced more directly to WWII vets, Holocaust survivors, plus people under blockade and the blitz.