Holy Shit! I'm movin' to Dallas!

I was going to offer my condolences – “Oh, tough break, dude, you have to go to Dallas…!” – but after seeing the OP, I’ll just giggle quietly over here… :wink:

I’ll buy you a drink when you get here. I’m always willing to buy a drink for someone with the sense to move down here from yankee country. :wink: :smiley:

Tip #1: Don’t live in Dallas.
This is, in fact, a legitimate tip. Once you accept the concept that a 1 hr commute is normal in North Texas, it’s much cheaper to live just outside the borders of Dallas county than in. Car insurance drops, property taxes are often lower…cost of living in Tarrant County (Fort Worth) is lower than Dallas.

Tip #2: Avoid Chipotle.
It’s a restaurant chain infecting our area. They claim to make burritos, which I supposed if you described a burrito to a blind man with no taste buds and only three fingers than whatever he was able to reproduce will be a fair approximation. There is such a wealth of tex-mex food in Texas, and for monster-sized burritos you can’t do better than Freebirds at Lovers & Greenville.

That’s all I’ve got so far…throw some questions our way, and I’m sure the local Texans like myself will take a stab at 'em.
InkBlot
:eek:

Yes, but everyone knows it, so the rush hour traffic is always Fort Worth → Dallas in the mornings and Dallas → Fort Worth in the evenings.

Look into Forney, near Mesquite.

*Until you’ve seen this trash can dream come true,
You stand at the edge, while people run you through.
And I thank the Lord, there’s people out there like you,
I thank the Lord there’s people out there like you.

While Mona Lisas and mad hatters,
sons of bankers, sons of lawyers,
turn around and say, “good morning” to the night.
For unless they see the sky, but they can’t and that is why,
they know not if it’s dark out side or light.*

-Elton John and Bernie Taupin, “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters”

Congratulations, Dewey. :slight_smile:

Question, is one supposed to move to a city and THEN find a job? Or find a job and THEN move to a city?

If I’m in columbus, and I wanted to move to Boston, how would I interview for a job a thousand miles away? What if I go over there and they don’t hire me?

What, nobody has mentioned the old story about a small-town lawyer who could barely make ends meet - until a second lawyer moved there?

Congrats on getting what you wanted, Dewey.

You’ll definitely look into South Dallas, particularly around the Fair Park area. I also hear that housing around the intersection of MLK Blvd and Malcolm X Avenue is a particularly good buy. :wink:
Hey! With a newcomer coming to town, are we going to start planning a Dallas Dopefest?

JUDGE: “The Jury will ignore any references to 1920s Death Rays or to Opal; and I’m reminding both counsel for the plaintiff and defendant that ‘cite?’ is not a valid objection.”

Got some bad news for you :frowning:

New York Republicans translate to liberal Democrats here. I’'m sorry, you’ll have to switch parties. There just no way around it.

I find living in Dallas Proper[sup]*[/sup] quite nice. Even though I’m in North Dallas (Midway/Walnut), I can get downtown in 15-20 minutes. Instead of renting an apartment, consider renting a house. I did that when I moved back here, and it’s really, really better than apartment living. Check out realtor.com for example(no connection, I was there checking the price of my next-door neightbor house).

As for restraunts:

Two of my favorites little places:

Avilas Mexican food on Maple south of Inwood.
Thai Toy’s on Lemmon just east of Loma Luna.

Grocery shopping: You must check out Central Market on Greenville, everything you could want. Also, there’s a Krispy Kreme Doughnut shop (if such things float your boat) right there as well.

[sup]*[/sup] Lots of people say they live in Dallas, when they actually live in places like Frisco, Mesquite, or Euless. To different oneself from those wannabees, the enlighted Dallasite says “I live in Dallas Proper.”

East of Inwood.

In all of my 30 years of living in Dallas (and the surrounding suburbs), the only people I have ever heard use the term “Dallas Proper” were yankees*.

• I’m not using “yankee” in a bad way here, but rather as a way to denote thier area of origin. I really have no problem with yankees. There are assholes everywhere, not just up north. :wink:

Really? I hear it frequently. Maybe I need to get my yankee detector adjusted.

They have yankee detectors now? Woo-Hoo!!!

Word.

My wife is an Aggie, and I ate about a million “birds” while visiting her in College Station. We were crazy excited when they finally opened up a location in the Metroplex.

Unfortunately, there was a lag between graduation and the opening of the 'Bird on Lovers Lane, so I tried a few of the other places. Qdoba? Blegh! I threw the whole thing away after one bite. Chipolte? Even worse!

I’ve met lots of people who (somehow) enjoy Chipolte. Invariably, those people have not tried Freebirds to find out what they’re missing. :wink:

Oh, and Dewey, check out the Angelika Film Center if you like a good non-Hollywood-blockbuster type movie on occasion.

And welcome to the neighborhood. :smiley:

Oh, come on, it isn’t that hard. You don’t need a Yankee detector.

The telltale signs are: full sets of teeth, lack of body odor, combed hair, normal shoes, and speaking in complete sentences without the words “ya’ll” and “yeehaw”.

Welcome to Dallas. I just moved here myself from Austin :frowning: . Live downtown if you’re looking for a short term pad. Its actually not very expensive at all if compared to New York. Don’t waste your time comuting from some godawful place like plano until you are actually buying a house.

Enjoy the cool breezes this summer, because as long as you live in Texas you will probably never see them again.

I had a nice long response composed for you, but rather than have this thread devolve into a joking, Yankee vs. Redneck type of thread I’ll simply say:
Good one! :smiley:

Oh please.

Full set of teeth, check.
Lack of body odor, I just got out of the shower.
Combed hair, check.
Normal shoes…hmm, do Birkenstocks, Doc Martens, and combat boots count? Oh, and my Chaco sandals. I don’t own a single cowboy boot, in other words.
Speaking in complete sentences, check. I do not have that demented speech aphasia that our snrk beloved president is so afflicted with.
No use of yeehaw, though I have been known to use that abbreviated second person plural on blessing from my old Latin teacher. :smiley:
Native Austinite, check.

Now, puts arm over Elvis’s shoulder Ah ken unnerstan’ whah a Yankee lahk yew maht mayk a joke lahk thayis, an’ if’n it’s all in fun thayen everthang’s aight, dig?

We just get a mighty lot of this from people who’ve never actually been to Texas and think Dallas, to pick a city at random, is full of cowboy-boot-and-hat-wearing long tall lean cowboys, when in fact it looks a lot more like New York than you might imagine.

On the one hand, it’s a good thing to get away from Dirtyside. On the other, seems a pity to get so close to Waco, “Athens on the Brazos” and stop short of a completed pilgrimage.