homemade dip

I would like to make some home-made dip.
My basic ingerdient is sour cream.
Give me some things to put into it, if you would.
Thanks!

3 tablespoons Sour Cream
2 tablespoons ChoppedChives
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
pinch Salt

What kind of dip did you want? The above one is good for with tex mex food.

Here is one for fruit:
Honey Sour Cream Dip

1 (8 oz.) carton sour cream
1/4 c. honey
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
Slice up some wedges or chuncks of your favorite fruits, I like it with apples, pinapple, pears that sort of thing.

Mix well and serve chilled.

A Veggie Dip

3/4 lb. bacon
2 green onions, minced
Dash of Tabasco
1 c. sour cream
Dash of garlic salt

Crumble cooked bacon into small pieces, blend in the remaining indredients cover and chill.

Serve with crisp fresh veggies. We like carrots, celery sticks, green onions and small broccoli florets.

And one for chips:

Sour Cream and Onion
1 pint sour cream
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Accent
Pinch salt
1 bunch minced green onions
1 cup grated cheddar cheese, grated

Blend first three ingredients well. Add onions chopped well to sour cream mixture and then add the grated cheese. It’s best when its been allowed to sit and chill awhile.
In fact all of them are better after chilled.

Or for classic “trailer” Sour Cream & Onion dip…

1 pint sour cream
1 envelope Knorr French Onion Soup mix (dry)

Mix, let sit for a bit, serve.

What’d you call me?!?

Oh … a dip recipe!

Some crushed garlic, a little pulped onion, minced scallions and shallots. Add dill weed, French’s toasted onion bits, crumbled bacon, or minced chile peppers as desired.

For a more dense version, whip in some cream cheese or “Lebni” yoghurt. Use hot sauce to adjust octane appropriately. YMMV

What is Accent? Must be a Merkin brand. :slight_smile:

It’s a brand name for MSG. Accent.

Crab dip:
1/2 c sour cream
1 brick cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp. horseradish
6 oz. crab meat (claw is fine)
1/2 tsp. brown mustard
Old Bay seafood seasoning to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Beat together sour cream and cream cheese at high speed. Switch mixer to low speed, and use low speed to mix in remaining ingredients. Chill well and serve with favorite crackers or raw veggies.

That crab dip looks scrumptious, norinew! (No lemon juice?)

What White Ink. Except I use Lipton. Put it in the fridge for a couple of hours after mixing it.

Off-topic, but I have two cream cheese (not sour cream) dip recipes. Both of them are as easy as White Ink’s recipe, and they taste good.

Smoked Salmon Dip

About four ounces of hot-smoked salmon. (i.e., not the cold-smoked lox.)
1 pint of cream cheese.

Flake the salmon and mix it into the cream cheese. Chill for a couple of hours.

Smoked Oyster Dip

Same as the smoked salmon dip, except use smoked oysters. I haven’t tried tinned smoked oystersl only fresh smoked ones.

I only have one other dip recipe. I call it DoD Dip because it seemed to be a staple of potlucks when I was working for Defense contractors. Nowadays it would be called “nacho sauce”. Cube and melt two pounds of Velveeta cheese in a crock pot. Add one jar of Pace Picante Sauce. Stir and keep heated. (It must be eaten hot.)

Well, since Johnny L.A. broke the ice and posted non-sour cream dip recipes, I’ll pop my favorite dip in here for when you want something slightly exotic.

1 cup fresh parsley
3/4 cup kalamata olives (pitted)
3/4 cup sun dried tomatoes (not the kind in oil, the dry kind)
1/4 cup pine nuts (a/k/a pignoli)
3-5 cloves garlic

Whirl it all in a food processor to the consistency of coarse sand. Serve with cocktail rye or pumpernickel bread. Tastes best the next day!

I also do a version of Johnny’s nacho dip, only instead of salsa I throw in a can of Hormel No-Beans Chili with the Velveeta.

West Coaster. One does not put lemon juice in a Merrilund-style crab dip.

thanks!
these are all excellent. I like the opinion idea.
Are most of you females?
I think males are better cooks. in fact, I’m going to have my son make his own dip recipe.
:slight_smile:

Opinion???

I meant onion.
ha!

Sour cream and 3/4 of a package of Knorr Leek Soup. Let sit in the fridge overnight. Scrumptious with veggies, seafood and meat. For fruit add a 3 oz. package of chevre and one tsp. honey.

This is the best bean dip ever.

Bean’s Bean Dip

Baked Bean Dip

1 block cream cheese, softened
1/2 of large sour cream
1 can refried beans
2 T. taco spice
2 T. jalapenos, chopped
1/4 C. onion, chopped
6 dr Tabasco sauce
2 1/2 C. cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
Fritos & Tortilla chips

Combine all ingredients except 1/2 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese. Spread into an 8x8x2 pan. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with large Fritos and tortilla chips.

** I also put sliced jalapenos, sliced black olives & tomatoes before baking.

My boys call this “Football Gameday Dip”. It’s also good with a pound of ground sausage browned and drained mixed in. I’ve also used rotel brand tomato instead of picante sauce, it makes it a bit thinner.

Easy Fruit Dip

1 brick cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 small jar (8 oz) marshmallow fluff

Blend well and tint with food coloring as desired. It chills up to a fluffy frosting type consistency and is divine with green apples, starfruit, strawberries, etc.

Nacho sauce?

We call it queso down here. Chile con queso, technically, but queso.

And yeah, putting in Ro-Tel makes it better IMHO. Somewhat thinner, because when it’s not hot it goes to the consistency of usual Velveeta, i.e. rubber.

It is at least better than the horrible huge cans of nacho cheese they made queso with at my high school. I swear that stuff is radioactive, or an actual loose-chain polymer.